Alcoa (NYSE: AA) is a global industry leader in bauxite, alumina and aluminum products, with a strong portfolio of value-added cast and rolled products and substantial energy assets. Alcoa is built on a foundation of strong values and operating excellence dating back nearly 130 years to the world-changing discovery that made aluminum an affordable and vital part of modern life. Since inventing the aluminum industry, and throughout our history, our talented Alcoans have followed on with breakthrough innovations and best practices that have led to efficiency, safety, sustainability and stronger communities wherever we operate.
Primary Purpose of Role:
- Lead research, development, engineering, and technology projects for breakthrough materials for advanced smelting applications.
- Initiates and leads R&D projects, defines objectives and work plan, and conducts research that advances scientific knowledge for the improvement of breakthrough materials for advanced smelting applications.
- Provides detailed knowledge of materials chemistry, synthesis, microstructure development, and failure mechanisms to develop fundamental understanding of materials performance
- Solves problems to root cause, seeks and identifies opportunities for improvements and implements solutions required to improve materials and materials production processes
- Conducts research in laboratory, pilot, and commercial scale environments
- Leads and manages scale-up of materials production facilities
- Fosters collaborative relationships within and between work groups, including external workgroups and stakeholders
- Provides functional guidance and mentoring to engineers, scientists, and technicians.
- Interfaces with external stakeholders, including customers and suppliers in conjunction to develop scope, schedule, and cost to meet objectives of R&D projects
- Diligently communicates progress and results through written technical reports, presentations, patents, and publications
Essential Knowledge/Skills Needed:
- Demonstrated ability to lead effectively in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop project plans and execute in a disciplined fashion to meet objectives within the timeline
- Fundamental knowledge and hands-on experience in materials development and processing
- Demonstrated knowledge in materials processing such as blending, forming, compaction, densification, physical, chemical and thermal property analysis and characterization
- Working knowledge of EPC activities for materials production facilities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work with resources within and outside the program team to accomplish the work required
- Strong organization and analytical skills for data management, analysis, and presentation of results
- B.S. degree in Materials Science & Engineering, Ceramics, Chemical Engineering
- 8 years of work experience in materials synthesis, processing, characterization, production, and related areas
- 3 years in leading R&D teams
- M.S. degree in Materials Science & Engineering, Ceramics, Chemical Engineering preferred
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. This position is subject to US Department of Commerce Export Administration Regulations (EAR) which requires U.S. Person status.
Alcoa encourages applications from women, people of diverse backgrounds and those with different skills and life experiences. Alcoa is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
Apply on company website