JOB PURPOSE OR MISSION: Assists pharmacists in preparing and distributing drugs, maintaining the drug inventory and maintenance of records under the supervision of a registered pharmacist for the age population served, as defined in the department's scope of service.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include, but are not limited to:
1. Procures and distributes drug orders per physician request, pharmacist request or prearranged work assignment according to established policies, procedures and protocols.
- Fills physician orders, medication surgical kits, medication carts or medication requisitions and specialty items/bins accurately.
- Identifies and fills replacement medications on emergency crash carts, OR carts and floor stock accurately.
- Prepares sterile products (including chemotherapy and parenteral nutrition) accurately.
- Delivers medications and supplies to patient care and ancillary areas accurately.
2. Maintains adequate stock of medications and supplies according to established policies, procedures and protocols and within specified time frame.
- Assists in ordering, receiving, unpacking and storing pharmaceuticals and supplies in appropriate locations.
- Rotates, restocks, and replaces outdated and unusable drugs.
- Prepackages medications in unit of use containers.
3. Contributes to the effective operation of the department.
- Picks up orders, requisitions and medications for return from patient care areas when on delivery rounds.
- Enters medication orders charges, and credits into pharmacy computer system accurately.
- Professionally answers the telephone, requests at the window, and makes STAT deliveries to patient care areas when requested.
- Maintains logs, records and other required documentation accurately; files in appropriate locations.
4. Participates in quality improvement activities of the department.
- Completes all assigned medication storage area inspections in a timely manner.
- Conducts quality monitors, collects data and completes documentation as assigned.
5. Maintains competency required for current job title/position.
1-year pharmacy tech experience preferred
High school diploma or equivalent required.
SPECIAL SKILL, LICENSE AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
Trainee Certification or Pharmacy Technician Certificate from the Louisiana Board of Pharmacy
Apply on company website