Join the hospital trusted by Chicago's Southland, Ingalls Memorial Hospital, in this role as a Public Safety Officer with our Security department.
Under the direct supervision of the on duty Supervisor, the Security Officer provides security protection for the hospital campus. The Security Officer performs services and provides assistance to patients, visitors, and staff, when required per hospital and departmental policies, using tact and courtesy at all times.
Essential Job Functions
Perform duties as assigned to manage and maintain hospital and department equipment, resources and funds accordingly.
Manage and maintain hospital & department equipment, such as squad cars, radio equipment, surveillance and alarm equipment, computer and printer equipment, uniforms, etc. to insure proper operations handling, promoting longevity and good operational ability.
Manage and maintain hospital & department resources, such as office supplies, fluid supplies for squad cars, etc. to insure proper handling avoiding waste and promoting availability of said supplies.
Manage and maintain the Make It Right fund, when dispensing cash to insure proper handling and accountability of the fund, avoiding shortages, promoting accuracy and availability of said funds.
- Receives customers in assigned area, assessing customers' physical needs and offers assistance with wheelchairs and transportation to patient care areas.
- Displays and demonstrates sympathetic concern for the suffering of another, giving aid, comfort or support as deemed appropriate.
- Assists in the restraint of patients upon request of a physician or nurse to ensure the safety of the patient and staff as needed.
- Trains in nonviolent crisis prevention (CPI) to assist in limiting the need of having to restrain patients.
- Trains in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and First Responder (first aid) within the 1st year of hire and refresh and maintain those skills on an annual basis thereafter, to assist persons as needed.
- Patrols and monitors hospital properties to maintain order, enforces regulations and ensures observance of applicable laws.
- Patrols lobbies, corridors and public areas; conferring with management; interviewing guests and employees; and interrogating persons to detect infringements and investigates disturbances.
- Patrols public areas to detect fires, unsafe conditions, and missing or in-operative safety equipment, completing maintenance work orders to repair and/or correct problems.
- Warns or ejects persons causing disturbances and cautions careless individuals to protect hospital from possible litigation.
- Assists with unruly or combative patients and assists in screening patients, when assigned to the Emergency Room.
- Responds to all emergency codes per department protocol.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of the department.
- High School diploma with one year experience in civil, private, security experience, military/military police, or police-related experience (honorable discharge mandatory), or a minimum of an Associate's degree required without experience
- Current CPR card (American Heart Association)
- CPI certification required upon hire, or within 60 days of hire.
- Successful completion of 40-hour State of Illinois Semi-Automatic Firearms Certification course (Tan Card) in a state accredited school.
- Must have a valid driver's license with no DUIs, wants, or warrants.
- Must have a good command of the English language with excellent communication skills.
- Must demonstrate understanding and have full appreciation of civil laws and hospital policies and procedures.
- Must have no recent felony convictions
- Requires emotional stability and mature judgement to handle difficult, stressful situations.
- Must demonstrate a courteous and persuasive demeanor when communicating with all levels of the organization and visitors.
- Must be discreet in the use of confidential information.
- Must possess and maintain own firearm according to department policy.
- Job Type/FTE: Registry (0.001) ; 12-hour shifts
- Shift: Rotating
- Unit/Department: Security
- CBA Code: Non-Union
Apply on company website