Laboratory Technician, 3rd shift - Memphis, TN
To perform laboratory testing on raw materials, in-process, and finished product samples to ensure the quality of inputs and outputs of all cream yeast & packaging products.
The shift would be Monday through Friday from 10PM to 6:30AM.
Saturday and Sunday 6AM to 6PM are to be worked once every 4 months. On the weekend you are scheduled to work, you would have the correlating Friday and Monday off.
While in training, there will be a flex day on Monday and Friday and will be working every 3rd weekend.
- Performs raw material testing to include molasses and mash sugar analysis, as well as concentrations for water, phosphoric acid, sulfuric acid, and sodium hydroxide.
- Performs gas evolution tests as required to evaluate yeast quality and performance.
- Perform moisture, protein, phosphate, starch, and salt analyses. Perform yeast cosmetic testing including color, texture, foam, and grit analysis.
- Performs microbiological testing including master aseptic plating and transfers, and media preparation techniques.
- Prepares media and reagents.
- Performs finished product packaging tests to insure conformance to specifications, including weight analysis, seal integrity, and temperature.
- Maintains, calibrates and/or verifies laboratory equipment.
- Perform hydrometer testing, including Specific Gravity, Brix, and Balling.
- Troubleshoot and correct equipment problems.
- Interprets testing results.
- Properly documents and reports laboratory data.
- Records data manually and/or electronically.
- Places nonconforming product on hold pending rework/disposition instructions by the QA/QC Manager.
- Completes required general cleaning/housekeeping duties on a weekly basis.
- Participates in the various Quality System programs including GMP/Sanitation, HACCP, ISO, and Safety.
- Prepares and inoculates laboratory culture vessels required for the first factory fermentation stage.
- Performs QC checks during finished product packaging.
- Inventories laboratory equipment and/or supplies and orders as required.
- AA degree with emphasis in Microbiology, Chemistry, Biology, or other science-related discipline.
- Industrial/QC laboratory experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to develop and maintain productive and positive relationships with co-workers, both inside and outside the laboratory department.
- Working knowledge of ISO, GMP, HACCP, and Process Safety Management.
- Proven ability to work with quality control charts and conduct statistical analysis.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from internal/external customers.
- Accuracy and attention to detail; logical and methodical approach to problem solving.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, such as Word/Excel/Access, and Crystal Reports.
- Must be able to operate standard office equipment, including telephone, calculator, computer, printer, typewriter, fax, and copier.
- Work is conducted in a typical laboratory environment, permeated by the aroma of yeast manufacturing.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- frequently required to sit, talk, and hear;
- occasionally required to walk and stand;
- required to climb stairs to access parts of the plant where samples need to be taken or testing needs to be performed;
- regularly uses hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls;
- constantly reaches with hands and arms;
- occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 50 pounds;
- Regularly uses close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
With Kelly, you'll have access to some of the world's highest regarded scientific organizations—providing you with opportunities to work on today's most challenging, research-intensive, and relevant projects. Our connections can lead you to innovative scientific pursuits you'll be proud to help advance. We work with 90 of the Fortune 100 companies and found opportunities for more than 10,000 scientific professionals last year.
You pursued a career in science to fuel your quest for knowledge and your desire to make the world a better place. Let Kelly fuel your career—connect with us today.About Kelly®
At Kelly, we're always thinking about what's next and advising job seekers on new ways of working to reach their full potential. In fact, we're a leading advocate for temporary/nontraditional workstyles, because we believe they allow flexibility and tremendous growth opportunities that enable a better way to work and live. Connecting great people with great companies is what we do best, and our employment opportunities span a wide variety of workstyles, skill levels, and industries around the world.
Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a diverse workforce, including, but not limited to, minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual orientation, gender identity. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.]] About Kelly Services
Kelly Services, Inc. (NASDAQ: KELYA, KELYB) is a leader in providing workforce solutions.
Kelly offers a comprehensive array of outsourcing and consulting services as well as world-class staffing on a temporary, temporary-to-hire, and direct-hire basis.
Serving clients around the globe, Kelly provided employment to more than 540,000 employees in 2013. Revenue in 2013 was $5.4 billion.
Apply on company website