We're a Little Different
Our mission is clear. We bring to life a healing ministry through our compassionate care and exceptional service.
We don't believe in jobs at Mercy, we believe in careers that match the unique gifts of unique individuals; careers that not only make the most of your skills and talents, but also your heart.
At Mercy, you'll feel our supportive community every step of your day, especially the tough ones. We're a team and love working that way. That team is expanding, and we currently have exceptional opportunities to help our communities grow.
Has knowledge and understanding of daily assignments and unit activities.
1. Takes assignments from charge nurse.
2. Answers patients call lights in a timely manner to determine needs and responds
appropriately by fulfilling needs within the scope of job description.
3. Bed alarms are answered immediately even if patient is not assigned to them.
Performs routine tasks and simple treatments under the direction of a licensed nurse.
2. Assists with the admission, transfer, and discharge process.
a. Takes and documents in EPIC, vital signs, height, and weight upon admission.
b. Orients patient and family to environment.
c. Assists with patient transfers/discharges, prepares patient, gathers patient
belongings, and arranges for transportation from room.
d. Maintains patients dignity while performing all patient care duties.
2. Takes and records temperature, pulse, respirations, and blood pressure on all
assigned patients at the beginning of each shift. Takes and records vital signs more
frequently as assigned.
3. Obtains weights on patients as ordered.
4. Performs finger stick blood sugars, records results in medical record.
5. Empties wound suction/drainage devices as 0600, 1400, 2200 and prn; records
amount in medical record.
6. Provides heat lamps, applies and refills ice packs, refills K-pad units and humidifiers,
and may measure for and apply TED hose. Sets up other equipment, i.e., CAPE, SCD
machines, Bucks/pelvic/cervical traction, as appropriate to specific unit.
7. Prepares and assists with Sitz baths as ordered and documents in medical record.
8. Collects specimens, labels them correctly and delivers them to the Lab.
9. Turns and encourages deep breathing and coughing by postoperative patients every
two hours. Encourages use of incentive spirometry as needed.
10. Turns bedfast patients every 1-2 hours, aligns patient correctly in bed and assists
patients to chair or ambulate as ordered, charts in EPIC, while in pt's room.
11. Changes telemetry electrodes daily.
IS, Body Mechanics, equipment, etc.
13. Reports any patient equipment alarms to appropriate licensed nurse immediately.
Provides personal hygiene and comfort measures to patients as directed and
documents in medical record.
1. Provides complete/partial baths or showers, including oral hygiene.
2. Provides fresh ice water often throughout shift.
3. Provides hair care, nail care, and back rubs as needed.
4. Documents hygiene and comfort measures in EPIC, while in pt's room.
5. Assists with bedpan/urinal, bedside commode, or to the bathroom as needed.
6. Performs catheter/perineal care or changes and cleans ostomy bags as needed.
7. Administers enemas as directed.
Assists in the maintenance of adequate nutrition and documents in medical record.
1. Serves between meal supplements/snacks as ordered, chart in EPIC.
2. Assists patients with meals, feeding if necessary.
3. Documents type of diet and percentage of food eaten in EPIC
4. Correctly follows patients diets as ordered.
5. Accurately obtains I&O data and charts in EPIC, while in pt's room.
Demonstrates effective and accurate verbal, and written communication.
1. Promptly reports all signs and symptoms indicating any changes in the patients
condition to the appropriate nurse immediately, for example:
a. Significant changes in vital signs.
b. Abnormal finger stick blood sugars (less than 80 or greater than 200)
c. Pulse oximeter reading of less than 92%
d. Change in amount/color of output from catheters/drains.
2. Reports to appropriate nurse any patient need/response to therapy (complaints of
pain, response to surroundings, changes in alertness, unusual skin redness or tears,
3. Request permission form the Charge RN prior to leaving the floor for lunch, breaks or inservices. Handoff phone to another NA.
4. Documentation of care and other pertinent data is completed according to hospital
policies and procedures, in EPIC, while in the patients room.
5. Refers family and patient questions to the appropriate nurse or charge nurse.
5. Communication is timely, accurate, concise, complete, and appropriate.
Maintains a clean and safe environment for patient and self by:
1. Emptying and properly bagging linen and trash and storing it according to hospital
2. Cleaning bedside and over bed tables and straightening/changing bed linen prn.
3. Removing unnecessary equipment from room.
4. Cleaning and properly storing bedpans, urinals and bedside commodes.
5. Uses proper hand washing techniques and uses standard precaution at all times
6. Complies with isolation procedures.
7. Keeps bed at low position, call light within patients reach, and alerts patient and staff
to fall risk.
Demonstrates age specific knowledge for the patient population of his/her unit.
1. Completes unit age-specific competency program.
2. Demonstrates ability to provide care based on patients as specific needs.
3. Demonstrates ability to obtain and interpret information in terms of patient age
Promotes professional and organizational development by completing the following:
1. Attends all mandatory inservices.
2. Attending 75% of staff meetings or documentation that minutes have been read.
3. Maintains current CRP certification.
4. Participates in hospital committee, special projects, or service as requested.
5. Adheres to all OSHA standards regarding appropriate safety regulations and
6. Complies with all policies, procedures, and protocols with no documented violations.
7. Accurately completed clock-in/out transactions.
8. Charts accurately in EPIC while in the room.
9. Functions as a team player.
10. Accepts constructive criticism from supervisor.
11. Abides by work rules.
12. Maintains current Finger stick Blood Sugar competency.
Work as a team by:
1. Receives in-coming calls and communications information to appropriate personnel and/or department.
2. Respond to tube system in timely manner and deliver medications to appropriate nurse.
3. Program ascom/call light phone system.
4. Answer call-lights and bed alarms for all pts on the floor.
5. Make sure pt rooms are stocked (gloves, yellow, red and trash bags) and drawers in room have appropriate supplies. All other items found in room are returned to appropriate place.
Maintains a demeanor that displays desire to accommodate needs and requests in all
interactions with patients, processes requests and information in a pleasant and
courteous manner assuring that questions are directed appropriately and family
members are satisfied and needs met.
1. Greets families at desk or receives from families inquiring about the status of
patients, processes requests and information in a pleasant and courteous manner
assuring that questions are directed appropriately and family members are satisfied
and needs met.
Because you're committed to excellence, you understand the importance of being properly prepared for your role at Mercy. That's why you'll bring to your role the right set of qualifications:
Education: Must have High School diploma or GED.
Certifications: BLS certification required (See HR policy B-20
We'll Support You at Work and Home
Our foundations are built on dignity and respect. Modern Healthcare Magazine named us as a “top 100 places to work.” We go out of our way to help people feel welcomed. We offer day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, tuition reimbursement and employer-matched retirement funds to benefit-eligible co-workers, including those working 48 hours or more per pay period!
What Makes a Good Match for Mercy
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us, along with exceptional quality care. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. We're also collaborative and are not afraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care – that's just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a fit for you as well, we encourage you to apply.
Mercy has determined this is a safety-sensitive position. The ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner is an essential function of this job.
Apply on company website