Requisition ID : 30785 #LI-JR-1 Job Description
Scope: Diesel Engine Mechanics (Machinists) work consists of performing inspections and maintenance according to FRA and company regulations, major and minor repairs, overhauls and servicing on all types of locomotives.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time; reach for tools and objects with hands and arms; mount and dismount locomotives; stoop, kneel, or crouch, occasional confined spaces and elevated heights; in shop environments and outside in all weather conditions.
The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and be able to demonstrate how to properly use basic mechanical and pneumatic tools.
- Perform daily and periodic inspections, servicing, and maintenance on diesel-electric locomotives, including but not limited to performing scheduled and preventative maintenance as determined by company policy and FRA regulation;
- Fueling, checking, and changing oil and liquid levels; changing filters for engine air, air compressor, fuel, and lube oil
- Replacing and maintaining engine components, traction motors, generators, air compressors, wheels, and truck components
- Troubleshoot and diagnose diesel engine malfunctions and make required repairs
- Performs disassembly, repair, replacement, rebuild, re-assembly, installation, adjustment, alignment, and lubrication activities on mechanical equipment
- Diesel mechanic experience
- Communication Skills (written and oral)
- Decision Making
- Problem solving and troubleshooting
- Ability to work independent or with a team
Education and Experience:
- Must be 18 years of age
- Valid driver's license
- High School diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Experience using measuring devices
- Basic technical knowledge of diesel mechanics/ repair experience
- 1st 40 Days of Training (50% of Full Rate)
- Next 204 Days of Training (75% of Full Rate)
- Next 244 Days of Training (80% of Full Rate)
- 100%/After 2 Years/488 Days (Journeyman) 100% of full rate ( $33.09)
Work Hours - Shifts, Nights, Weekends, Holidays
Outdoor and Shop Environment
Travel may be required for training
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is a Fortune 300 organization and one of the nation's premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern is a major transporter of industrial products, including chemicals, agriculture, and metals and construction materials. In addition, the railroad operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a principal carrier of coal, automobiles, and automotive parts.
At Norfolk Southern, we believe in celebrating our individuality. By leveraging the unique backgrounds and viewpoints of our employees, we can create a culture of innovation, respect, and inclusion. We know that employees thrive in a workplace where differing viewpoints, ideas, and experiences are freely shared and valued. As such, we encourage all employees to contribute their distinctive skills and capabilities to our organization.
Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Together, we power progress.
On September 9, 2021, President Biden signed Executive Order 14042. This order and the associated federal safety protocols for federal contractors that were issued on September 24, 2021, require covered contractors who work with the federal government to ensure that their employees are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or approved for a health or religious accommodation by January 18, 2022. As a covered federal contractor, Norfolk Southern must adhere to these legal requirements. If you are made a conditional job offer, you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination, or apply and be approved for a health or religious accommodation prior to your start date.
Apply on company website