About the location
Alcoa's U.S. portfolio includes Alcoa's corporate headquarters (ACC), Alcoa's Technology Center (ATC), four smelters, hydroelectric power and a calcined coke plant. Our Massena facility in New York State, established in 1902, is home to the longest continuously operating smelter in the world. Located on the St. Lawrence River, Massena, NY is the center for commercial, industrial, and manufacturing success in St. Lawrence County. Its four seasons of natural beauty and abundant outdoor recreational activities attract tourists and local residents to enjoy year-round. Massena's caring sense of community, affordable cost of living, and extremely low-cost locally-supplied energy, coupled with four public and private universities nearby, make Massena a great place to call home. From the Thousand Island region to explore by boat, to fishing in the St. Lawrence River, to swimming in three beautiful nearby riverside beaches, to experiencing beautiful foliage and hiking in the Fall, to snowmobiling, and many other winter sports, there's always something fun to see and do. And within a two hour drive (or less) are cosmopolitan and historic Montreal and Ottawa, Canada to the north, and to the south are the tall, beautiful views of Adirondacks and within it is Lake Placid, The Olympic Village.
About the job
This position is responsible for all production activities in the casthouse including casting, sawing, homogenization and associated processes to meet all customer shipping and quality requirements. This position is responsible for equipment assets and human resources on shift. The financial impact of this position is significant as it relates directly to quality of finished goods.
- Support, promote, and implement all EHS guidelines and practices as established for the department.
- Safely cast and deliver a quality product that meets all applicable customer requirements while minimizing costs.
- Directly responsible for product flow from the furnaces to the casting units and finishing processes.
- Lead the operation of the vertical casting units, the in-line casting units, continuous rod caster, homogenization furnaces, the sawing/inspection operations including troubleshooting with mechanical and electrical maintenance staff.
- Maintain housekeeping in areas of responsibility as described in housekeeping plan and EHS (Environmental Health & Safety) audits.
- Ensure that all casting and sawing practices and procedures are adhered to and stay in sync with quality system standards.
- Maintain relationships with other casthouse supervisors on shift, casthouse engineers, scrap coordinator and production planner/shipping coordinator.
- Handle labor relations on shift in accordance with Alcoa policy including first step grievances and discipline.
- Develop new insights and approaches cost reduction.
- Play an active role in the implementation of CH Cost Reduction Initiatives and ABS activities.
- Employee must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and handle many concurrent analysis/activities while maintaining analytical accuracy and timeliness.
- Provide problem-solving information to Cast House furnace operators and other shift supervisors in order to prevent off-grade production.
- Direct metal flow throughout the Cast House based on production needs.
- Participate in quality audits
- As required, perform furnace alloy addition calculations for Cast House Operating personnel.
- Must be willing to help fill for vacation and sick leave absences.
Our values – act with integrity, operate with excellence, care for people, lead with courage – are at the foundation of everything we do. To be successful in this role and to play a part in our ongoing success we desire the following background:
- Proven knowledge of aluminum casting and downstream processing including sawing and homogenizing preferred but will consider relevant industrial experience with supervisory experience in a union environment.
- High school diploma or GED from an accredited institution is required. An Associate Degree and two years of prior supervisory experience and/or cast house experience is preferred.
- Must have strong computer skills, including MS Excel, MS Word and MS Outlook
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
To support our teams and their families beyond the workplace, Alcoa provides an outstanding benefits package effective day one of employment! In addition to medical benefits, we offer employee resource group opportunities, 401K options and a first-rate vacation plan for valuable work-life balance.
We are values led, vision driven and united by our purpose of transforming raw potential into real progress. Our commitments to Inclusion, Diversity & Equity include providing trusting workplaces that are safe, respectful and inclusive of all individuals, free from discrimination, bullying and harassment and that our workplaces reflect the diversity of the communities in which we operate.
As a proud equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer, Alcoa is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of a person's gender, age, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, nation of origin, disability, veteran status, language spoken or any other characteristic or status protected by the laws or regulations in the places where we operate.
If you have visited our website in search of information on U.S. employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Alcoa Recruiting via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a place where you are empowered to do your best work, be your authentic self, and feel a true sense of belonging. Come join us!
Apply on company website