Under the supervision of laboratory personnel, performs pre-analytical processing tasks, collects blood specimens by venipuncture or fingerstick for clinical patient testing, and upon completion of necessary clinical hours, performs moderately complex testing in the core lab, and other duties as assigned.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The purpose of this position is to provide an opportunity for MLS/MLT students to gain valuable experience working in a clinical laboratory. Student Laboratory Technicians will initially be trained in the venipuncture and accessioning departments, and upon completion of necessary clinical hours, will be trained to perform moderate complexity testing in the core laboratory.
- High School Diploma
- Enrollment in a Medical Laboratory Science or Medical Laboratory Technician Program
RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS
- Performs blood collection by venipunctures and micro-collection techniques.
- Processes specimen to ensure the integrity of the sample prior to testing. Distributes specimens to the appropriate testing area.
- Perform accurate patient and insurance data entry into Medipac
- Order lab work from OPD, ALS and CareEvolve requisitions
- Load the automated track according to established guidelines
- Centrifuge and separate specimens according to test requirements
- Monitor and empty tube system punctually; checking for stats and prioritizing work
- Complies with organizational policies, procedures, and code of conduct.
- Perform testing and quality control using approved laboratory procedures and instrumentation.
- Exercise professional judgment in order to recognize, prioritize and facilitate varying test requests and workload in an efficient manner.
- Participate in quality improvement initiatives.
- Perform instrument/equipment maintenance according to department guidelines and manufacturer's specifications.
- Cross training to all areas in the department is required.
- Must be detail-oriented to products and quality.
- Have ability to communicate effectively.
- Work effectively with coworkers
- Strong communication skills
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, identity, family status, gender, disability, or veteran status.
- Work eight hours a day. This unit requires has 24/7 coverage.
- Shifts are variable to volume of department. Rotation as needed.
- Work weekends and holidays as assigned.
- Lunch periods and breaks are coordinated with other staff members to maintain
adequate floor coverage.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS ADDENDUM
PURPOSE: To identify specific functions job requirements and work environment factors that could affect job performance.
66% of the day
over 100 lbs
over 100 lbs
HAZARDOUS EXPOSURE CATEGORY – Category I
Apply on company website