BAE Systems, one of the world's leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, has an opening for a Civil and Mechanical Engineering Manager at the Holston Army Ammunition Plant in Kingsport, TN. The Engineering Manager directly oversees the civil, structural, architectural (CSA) and mechanical engineering staff supporting design, construction, and commissioning of various multi-million dollar modernization programs at Holston Army Ammunition Plant and Radford Army Ammunition Plant (Radford, VA).
BAE Systems helps protect those who protect us. At our R&D and manufacturing facility at the Holston Army Ammunition Plant, we do this by developing safer explosives for our government and commercial customers. Holston AAP has provided high-quality explosives for our war fighters since WWII and with your help will continue to push the frontier of energetic material synthesis and manufacturing. Learn more about this area of our business at www.baesystems.com/OSIjobs.
The Civil and Mechanical Engineering Manager, reporting to the Deputy Director, Engineering, leads and mentors the civil and mechanical engineering staff across two sites (Kingsport, TN and Radford, VA). The manager will be a functional and strategic leader, and must provide detailed assistance and fully understand civil and mechanical project requirements during proposal generation, design, construction, and commissioning. These projects include new facilities and upgrades of existing facilities. In this role, you will manage an experienced, self-motivated engineering staff, providing a balance between empowerment and direction. You will play an active role in requirements planning, customer expectation management, solution delivery, and problem resolution.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage civil, structural, mechanical, and piping engineers and designers in a matrix organization.
- Perform a variety of management and supervisory functions; hire, train, assign, supervise, and evaluate personnel.
- Maintain and develop skillsets through on-going performance conversations and annual Performance and Development Review (reward and discipline).
- Provide technical oversight to ensure timely and economical execution of proposals, projects, and department initiatives.
- Incorporate strategic planning and budget control; identify staffing, equipment, facilities, and related needs.
- Provide leadership and strategic planning regarding engineering estimates, lifecycle management, and risk management.
- Develop and mature standards, templates, and specifications to increase consistency, replicability, and efficiency for departmental improvement initiatives.
- Provide leadership in safety and environmental performance.
- Work in a collaborative environment with functional engineering managers (Electrical, Chemical, Safety, Systems, etc.) to successfully develop and deliver projects.
- Provide technical guidance and engineering resources as needed to support production and maintenance.
- Lead the team in maturing the culture to improve design safety, design quality, and consistency.
- Chair and assess Technical Bid Reviews and Design Reviews.
- Responsible for safe work practices during construction and safety of designs and specifications.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering, or closely related field, from an accredited college or university
- 8+ years related experience in engineering design, construction, and commissioning including relevant leadership experience directing a team of engineers
- Experience in design and construction of industrial facilities preferably in chemical processing facilities
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to answer questions and resolve problems
- Ability to effectively communicate with various functional departments, suppliers, and customers
- Knowledge of management and supervisory principles
- Skills in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects, and demands while working within deadlines to complete projects and assignments
- Experience creating program plans, estimates, and proposals
- Knowledge of applicable standards and codes related to civil and mechanical engineering
- Technical competencies to direct and review analyses, designs, and calculations related to civil and mechanical engineering
- Excellent understanding of civil and mechanical technical documentation required for construction, commissioning, and operations
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Chemical manufacturing experience
- Energetic materials experience
- Knowledge of Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC) and applicable codes and statutes
- Professional Engineer (PE) or Project Management Professional (PMP)
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website