BAE Systems is seeking a Program Technical Lead / Program Engineering Manager (PTL/PEM) in our FAST Labs Engineering division.
FAST Labs RF, Electronics, Cyber (R3) is the premier research and development arm for BAE Systems in the domain of RF, Electronics, and Cyber. These projects focus on the development of new concepts and technologies that are on the cutting edge in the RF EW and Advanced Electronics domain. The primary customers are Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), other government R&D labs, and technology transition customers.
The PTL is the lead engineering position on a program or proposal and is responsible for ensuring that the cost, schedule, technical requirements, and overall program objectives are achieved. They are responsible for making the trades necessary to stay within the cost and schedule boundaries while maintaining a product design that complies with research objective of the customer. The PTL integrates inputs from multiple engineering disciplines into a cohesive, comprehensive execution plan. The PTL is responsible for planning, staffing, budget, schedule, risk and opportunity management, scope management and for ensuring the achievement of the overall research objective.
The candidate will need to have the ability to lead the execution of advanced technical projects with multi-disciplinary teams consisting of engineers and academically strong researchers. The ideal candidate would have exposure to multiple technical domains having worked complex multi-disciplinary research programs. This position functions across multiple tech directorates and organizations to collaborate and drive program success.
Applicants must have at least an active SECRET clearance, and be clearable to a DoD TOP SECRET clearance.
Specific PTL responsibilities are:
- Accountable to meet the overall cost, schedule and technical performance of the integrated engineering teams for a projects through the entire life cycle
- Create effective and cohesive teams by integrating architects, subject matter experts, and technical leads to address all aspects of the product life cycle
- Ensure that effective Engineering leaders are assigned to projects/programs so that projects are successful. Work with and support other discipline leads in their tasks to effectively staff programs/projects with effective direction.
- Define and manage product architecture and product evolution. Create and manage architectural views to facilitate knowledge distribution, teamwork, and leverage.
- Develop winning technical solutions and proposals to grow the business. Ensure preparation and approval of engineering bids that are executable and meet established price-to-win targets.
- Provide timely and accurate staffing and resource forecasts, overseeing the efforts of the engineering design disciplines to acquire and satisfy staffing needs.
- Ensures that the engineering staff adheres to the approved plans by attending program control meetings, design reviews and by auditing processes, reviewing status and communicating regularly with the cost account managers
- Interfaces with functional engineering organizations to ensure programs are adequately staffed and executed. Approves engineering cost account manager assignments for the program(s). Assesses all changes to the engineering cost, schedule, technical and risk baseline.
- Achieve established business and engineering financial targets
- Recruit, train, develop and retain teams to meet program and business needs
- Apply required and appropriate Engineering process to ensure program and product development success and predictability (eg. ARBs, TBRs, LCM IDRs, TRRs, etc.)
Our engineers are the lifeblood of our company and we're more than 5,000 strong. With our robust offering of educational and career development opportunities, your chances to grow are limitless.
**Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status**
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or equivalent with 8+ years of experience or Master's degree with 6+ years of experience
- Ability to think strategically and formulate strategic vision, strategies and implement action plans to achieve goals in a changing environment
- Technical leadership, management, and decision making in EW electronics system concept development, design/development, production, and sustainment relevant to the family of products and associated missions and applications.
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and inspire a technical staff with diverse experience, technical views, and individual differences
- Proven ability to share and transfer technology and know-how across organizational boundaries
- Proven Project Management and Product Development skills with a practical understanding of Systems Engineering and DoD product development lifecycle
- Proven performance management, mentoring, coaching and communication skills
- Demonstrated decision-making clarity in an ambiguous & uncertain environment
- Competent in Engineering talent management, development, and acquisition
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it's what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you'll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems' game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website