PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION
The primary purpose of this job position is to perform the day-to-day functions of the Credit and Collection Department. The associate will fulfill collections functions related to all patient or client accounts assigned and maintain compliant and accurate documentation on all account activity.
Duty 1: Responds to telephone traffic with patients, visitors and other hospital personnel in a courteous and timely manner. Relays accurate information promptly to the appropriate party for A/R reduction and patient satisfaction.
Duty 2: Assures confidentiality of patient information. Maintains compliant documentation and records in accordance with Federal and State regulations in patient account files. Accurately documents all account activity. Adheres to all HIPAA related privacy, security and transaction & code set regulations in compliance with the Federal guidelines
Duty 3: Primarily handles self-pay accounts and self-pay balances after insurance. Works with the Patient Accounting Specialists when gathering accurate billing information for the creation of corrected claim forms. Performs credit functions related to patient accounts in a timely and appropriate manner. Assist the debtor in resolving all issues related to his or her account until conclusion for patient satisfaction and A/R reduction.
Duty 4: Establishes payment arrangements, maintains account aging, identifies uncollectible accounts to turn over to collection agencies and assists Financial Counselors when necessary. The Specialist should strive to handle accounts in ways that best affect collections and minimize bad debt.
Duty 5: Remains current on collection laws, Medicare/Medicaid laws, HCAP regulations and guidelines, third-party funding requirements and adheres to all requirements for compliancy.
Duty 6: Complete HCAP/Charity determinations using the appropriate Federal Poverty Guidelines and Sliding Scale.
Duty 7: Complete HCAP/Charity adjustments for the appropriate reduction of A/R on account balances.
Duty 8: Assists in the annual HCAP log audit process for timely reporting of the cost report; including pulling applications and internal auditing of accounts.
Duty 9: Operates all departmental equipment, performs clerical functions and data entry, typing and filing. Develops, interprets and utilizes computer reports as required to accomplish timely & accurate reporting within Patient Financial Services and BVRHC for account billing and follow up.
Duty 10: Regularly attends and actively participates in staff meetings, in-service and continuing education programs as offered. This provides needed educational updates for compliancy & organizational changes in the healthcare industry.
- High school graduate or GED
- Medical terminology required
- Basic knowledge of general office practices and procedures required
- CRT Data Entry, typing, filing and/or PC experience required
- Positive service-oriented interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served on his/her assigned unit/department. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient status. Must be able to interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to their age-specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in the area's policies and procedures.
- Collection and medical billing experience preferred
- Word processing, Excel preferred
- Familiarity of hospital policy and procedures preferred
- ICD-9 and/or CPT Coding knowledge preferred
This position requires a full range of body motion with intermittent bending, squatting, kneeling, and twisting. The associate must be able to sit for three hours, walk for one hour and stand for two hours per day. The associate must be able to lift 20 pounds. The individual must have excellent eye/hand coordination to operate the machines. This position requires corrected vision and hearing in the normal range.
Apply on company website