The Health Promotion Specialist: Social Wellbeing Coordinator will work to create a campus environment that actively encourages and supports all students to learn and grow academically and socially and to create and maintain a vibrantly diverse community in which every student feels a sense of belonging and value. Through community and individual health interventions, they will work towards the goals of increasing wellbeing, building resiliency and reducing high risk alcohol and other drug use and encourage pro-health behaviors. The Health Promotion Specialist will work with a diverse and multidisciplinary team of colleagues in providing these services and collaborate across many departments throughout the University. They will actively promote diversity and social justice through critical and compassionate communication and strategic outreach efforts to various student populations (e.g., first-generation, undocumented and DACA students, LGBTQ students).
Major Responsibility: Develop, implement, and evaluate population-based health interventions aimed to increase social wellness and decrease high-risk alcohol and other drug use. 40 %
- The population based health interventions will utilize culturally competent best practices in social marketing and take an intersectional approach to addressing the complex barriers to achieving optimal social wellbeing.
- Deliver interventions through a variety of techniques both at large scale events and virtually.
- Develop a framework for evaluating all population based health interventions.
- Supervisor undergraduate and graduate student employees in implementation of population based health interventions.
Major Responsibility: Develop, implement, and evaluate community wellbeing interventions and peer education programs 30 %
- Community wellbeing interventions will come in the form of regularly scheduled workshops, trainings and groups for students.
- Utilize evidence informed best practices for community health, ie peer recovery coaching and brief motivational interventions for groups (ie CHOICES).
- Provide education and training related to social wellbeing to students and student groups, including but not limited to Residential Peer Leaders.
- Develop, advise, evaluate and coordinate or co-coordinate peer education programs, ie HEALTHy Athletes.
- Assess training needs for staff and faculty related to this issue. Provide and/or coordinate training as needed.
- Act as a resource person for colleagues regarding their work related to social wellbeing, including Alcohol and Other Drug use.
- Provide education, support and appropriate referrals for students affected by Alcohol and Other Drug use and generalized symptoms of social stress.
- Supervisor undergraduate and graduate student employees in implementation of community wellbeing interventions.
Major Responsibility: Provide individual wellness sessions focusing on increasing pro-health behaviors and reducing high risk alcohol use 20 %
- Facilitate confidential appointments with students that encourage and support mindset and behavior change for sustainable social wellness.
- Using evidence based practices of motivational interviewing and stages of change (ie BASICS) appointments will focus on harnessing the student's intrinsic motivation and ability to contemplate, prepare, act on and maintain a change plan for a variety of self-care and harm reducing behaviors.
- Conduct follow-up appointments with students who have been treated by EMS for acute intoxication or who have been referred by campus colleagues.
- Refer students appropriately to medical providers, psychotherapists, other health educators or other University services.
Major Responsibility: Perform other related duties as requested by the Director of BWell Health Promotion 10 %
- Master's degree in Health Education, Public Health, Higher Education or closely related field required
- Minimum 3 years relevant experience
- Certified Health Education Specialist or Master Certified Health Education Specialist preferred
- Training and experience as a BASICS or SBIRT provider preferred
- Experience coordinating peer health education programs
- Experience applying principles of Motivational Interviewing to substance abuse education and prevention.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work with a diverse population of students and colleagues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to conduct educational programs and training workshops
- Familiarity with best practices and assessment tools related to social wellbeing and Alcohol and Other Drug education
- Demonstrated technological competence and skill to apply technology in departmental operations and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in complex, sensitive situations
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including some nights and/or weekends
Please submit both a cover letter and resume for full consideration.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a successful criminal background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown.
Recruiting Start Date:2019-11-13-08:00
Job Posting Title:Health Promotion Specialist: Social Wellbeing Coordinator
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website