WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY?
The Software Engineer plays a key role in City National Bank's Technology & Innovation division. As a Software Engineer you will analyze, design, code, debug, test, document, implement and maintain business and client-facing applications using City National Bank's Secure Software Development Lifecycle.The Software Engineer is an experienced, fully proficient professional with full understanding and in-depth knowledge of its discipline.The typical day includes collaborating with business system analysts, project managers, engineers (e.g., Software, UX, Full Stack, DevOps, Quality, Infrastructure, Cybersecurity), business teams, vendors and other stake holders to design, implement and support business and client-facing applications. This role will need to effectively communicate, collaborate, and influence engineering and business team members across many projects and departmental boundaries. The Software Engineer designs, develops, updates/maintains solutions working within a development team. At this level the main challenge is to identify causes and implement solutions to business problems in a multifunctional project, assessing and communicating issues of technology impact on the business.The colleague in this position would be comfortable with the following activities:Evaluates application software packages and makes recommendations to management. Participates with other colleagues in code reviews, tests, and pilots. Analyzes business requirements for small to medium projects. Performs feasibility studies, translates requirements into an appropriate design.
Technology and Innovation Division
As a member of City National's Technology & Innovation group, you will drive, develop, and maintain solutions for clients and colleagues. This is an exciting time of technology advancement and innovation across the bank, particularly within our technology teams.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Participate in the design and development of business and client-facing applications, as a member of a team.
- Writing secure quality code with a drive for automated testing and validation based on the You Build You Own (YBYO) model.
- Perform diverse engineering activities for performance tuning, monitoring, deployment and production support.
- Implement, maintain and update CI/CD pipelines in the cloud.
- Work with business partners, architects and other groups to identify diverse technical and functional needs of systems based on priority.
- Collaborate with multiple, enterprise-wide distributed performing teams to deliver new capabilities in business applications.
- Design and develop API's.
- Build APIs and UIs to help make use of large data sets, infrastructure and user experience.
- Provides software engineering skills within an assigned business area, usually as a member of a project team, in analyzing, designing, modifying, and developing business applications.
- Prepare programming specifications from which programs will be written, and designs, codes, tests, debugs, and documents programs.
- Analyze and develop logical database designs, data models and relational data definitions across multiple computing environments (e.g., host based, distributed systems, client server, etc.)
- Learn and follow City National Bank's Secure Software Development Life Cycle (SSDLC).
- Create and maintain application system overviews and technical documentation.
- Complies fully with all Bank Operational and Credit policies and procedures as well as all regulatory requirements (e.g. Bank Secrecy Act, Know Your Client, Community Reinvestment Act, Fair Lending Practices, Code of Conduct, etc.).
- Completes all required training.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent
- Minimum of 4 years of software development experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience using modern languages (C#, Java, Python).
- Minimum of 4 years experience with databases and data modeling / design (SQL and NoSQL).
Skills and Knowledge
- Proficient in debugging techniques and technical problem analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communications, interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of project management technique is required.
- Experience with structured design, development, and implementation of new computing architectures.
- Full-stack development expertise in C#
- Cloud application development (Azure Preferred)
- DevOps / continuous integration technologies
- Monitoring Technologies
- Expertise with databases (SQL & NoSQL)
- Hands-on expertise in DevOps and CICD techniques and technologies
- The ability to self-learn and quickly understand new and changing technologies in a fast-moving cloud world, how and if these changes can be leveraged to improve the solution and the overall impact of these in the technical design and operational delivery
- Financial services (Banking) experience a plus
- Has good understanding of the business or function for which application is designed.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to express complex technical concepts in business terms.
*To be considered for this position you must meet at least these basic qualifications
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
City National Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law.
ABOUT CITY NATIONAL
We start with a basic premise: Business is personal. Since day one we've always gone further than the competition to help our clients, colleagues and community flourish. City National Bank was founded in 1954 by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs and that legacy of integrity, community and unparalleled client relationships continues to drive phenomenal growth today. City National is a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada, one of North America's leading diversified financial services companies.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Apply on company website