SCHEDULE: PRN/Per Diem
Are you currently enrolled in nursing school and want to gain invaluable hospital experience? Are you looking for an opportunity that is flexible with your school schedule? Come and join our team as a Nurse Extern!
Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) is a leading healthcare provider with over 31.2 million patient encounters a year at locations in 21 states including the UK. We care about our community! HCA has been continually named one of Ethisphere's Most Ethical Company's in the World since 2010.
Johnston-Willis Hospital, a 292-bed acute care facility, is a Level III Trauma Center and sister facility to Chippenham Hospital (CJW Medical Center). We offer a full range of healthcare services with specialties in cancer care and neuroscience at our first-in-Richmond Neuroscience and Gamma Knife Center. We have been awarded the Goal Seal of Approval by the Joint Commission and are a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures, in addition to other awards and recognitions. For more than a century, our hospital has delivered high-quality healthcare to central Virginia.
The Nurse Extern will work under the supervision of the Registered Nurse (RN) and assist the nursing staff in providing patient care. You will deliver high quality, patient-centered care services related to common nursing functions and activities of daily living.
Our PRN Nurse Extern schedule is very flexible with your school requirements. The minimum commitment is two 12-hour weekend shifts every four weeks.
Information about our Intermediate Care Unit:
- You will work on a 17-bed stepdown unit that specializes in geriatric care
- You will care for patients whose critical medical condition requires more attention than a general medical unit can provide but less than an ICU
Nurse Extern Job Duties:
- Perform direct and indirect patient care under the direction of the Registered Nurse
- Obtain and record patient information throughout the cycle of care according to hospital policy
- Assist with patient mobility and patient transfers
- Performs job tasks to ensure personal, patient and departmental safety
- Communicates effectively and professionally and functions in an organized, time conscious manner
Upon graduating, you will also be eligible for our exclusive Nurse Extern to RN Incentive. We offer Nurse Externs who accept an RN Nurse Residency position with us the following incentives:
- Paid as a second-year RN in your first year
- NCLEX reimbursement
- $100 scrub stipend
- Shorter waiting period for benefits
- Early consideration for an RN position on your units of interest!
- Current enrollment in accredited nursing program
- Successful completion of Nursing Fundamentals course
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required
Our Company's recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.
Apply on company website