Duties include but are not limited too:
- Responsible for inpatient care and follow-up for patients admitted to the General Medicine units of the Memphis Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) on academic or non-academic services as assigned.
- Responsible for medical consultation to inpatients admitted to other services at Memphis Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) including providing consultation services on the inpatient psychiatry unit.
- Supervision, training, and teaching of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center General Internal Medicine house staff and students for those applicants assigned to and who meet the qualifications for working on the Academic Services (must be eligible for UT faculty appointment.)
- Perform administrative and committee work related to improving patient care and clinical outcomes as assigned.
- Ensures appropriate care, promotion of Health, education and counseling of family members and control of risk factors for all General Medicine patients.
- Provide medical evaluation and direct the overall management of acutely ill, hospitalized patients with general medical problems on academic or non-academic services (no Intensive Care Unit care patients).
- Ensure that treatment is safe, timely, efficient, efficacious, evidence-based, and patient-centered.
- Work in collaboration with assigned NPs to perform the General Medicine evaluation, treatment and notes to inpatients admitted to Mental Health wards.
- Attend, participate, and present at regularly scheduled Medicine Conferences such as morning report, house staff and medical student conference, and Medicine Grand Rounds
- Remain in compliance with all educational, training, and competency requirements of Memphis Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC).
Financial Disclosure Report:Not requiredTravel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- Internal Medicine Physicians
- Physicians, Internal Medicine
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:Job is mostly sedentary. Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable; Far vision correctable; Depth perception; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Hearing (aid permitted).Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
ResponsibilitiesDuties include but are not limited too:Responsible for inpatient care and follow-up for patients admitted to...
Apply on company website