Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day.® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operated 17,266 stores in 46 states as of February 26, 2021. Learn more about Dollar General at www.dollargeneral.com.
Manage all employees and processes in a high sales volume retail store carrying a balanced combination of food and general merchandise. Responsible for ensuring that store functions are timely and efficiently completed including, but not limited to, ordering, receiving, stocking, merchandise presentation, staffing, cash handling, shrink control and customer service. In addition to general merchandise, food categories include produce, dry foods, meats, and dairy/frozen foods.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
While responsible for all employees and total store processes, the Store Manager's specialized areas include:
- Review operating statements to identify the store's business trends including sales, profitability expense control opportunities, potential shrink improvement, etc. Maintain positive trends and ensure compliance with company Standard Operating Procedures manual, policies and work processes.
- Review Ad/Planner ordering plans.
- Review Perishable and Food ordering processes to maximize sales and minimize markdowns.
- Ensure store meets or exceeds in-stock targets.
- Validate (Find – Fill – Fix) processes and 7 day work flow.
- Facilitate efficient staging, stocking and storage of merchandise.
- Ensure that all merchandise is presented according to established practices and plans. Utilize merchandise fixtures properly including presentation, product pricing and signage.
- Control damages and markdowns.
- Manages store budget.
- Maintain strict cashier accountability, key control, scanning accuracy and adherence to stated company security practices and cash control procedures.
- Ensure that qualified and high performing store employees are recruited, interviewed, selected, hired, trained, assigned tasks and retained.
- Develop and maintain employee work schedules
- Supervise and ensure associates, as well as authorized key carriers are trained in proper store operations and the supervision of store employees.
- Evaluate employee performance and address employee performance and/ or conduct issues through coaching, counseling and when necessary the termination process.
- Ensure compliance with all federal and state labor laws and company policies.
- Recommend pay rates and advancement.
- Properly address employee leave requests.
- Ensure that staff obtains all required local and state food handling certifications.
- Ensure store is appropriately staffed and opened and closed in a timely manner each day based on the store's posted store hours.
- Ensure that store regularly meets safety, food handling and sanitation standards. Plan and lead staff meetings and events to encourage safety, security and policies.
- Represent store and cooperate with all governmental regulatory agencies.
- Communicate and implement corporate and area initiatives relating to human resources, products, pricing and merchandise presentation.
- Provide superior customer service leadership. Ensure customers' needs and requests are routinely addressed in an efficient and timely manner. Maintain daily contact with customers to understand merchandise expectations.
- Ensure store equipment is adequate and functional to perform required tasks. Recommend additional or alternative equipment if needed.
- Confirm paperwork and documentation is completed according to guidelines and deadlines.
WORKING CONDITIONS and PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Frequent walking and standing.
- Frequent bending, stooping, kneeling and reaching to run check out station and stock merchandise.
- Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as hand-held scanners, pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise containers, two-wheel dollies, rolltainers (four-wheel rolling merchandise carts) and U-boats (six-wheel carts).
- Frequent and proper lifting of up to 40 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 55 pounds. Occasional climbing using ladder.
- Regularly driving/providing own transportation to make bank deposits, attend meetings and travel to other Dollar General stores.
- Fast-paced environment; moderate noise level.
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- May be exposed to extreme cold in freezers.
- Occasionally exposed to hazardous cleaning solutions.
- Occasionally exposed to slippery floor surfaces.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Ability to read and interpret operating statements and identify corrective actions to negative trends, if needed.
- Knowledge of cash, facility and safety control policies and practices (deposits, store keys, SAFE program, etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams, health regulations, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals.
- Ability to perform cash register functions to generate reports.
- Knowledge of recruiting, interviewing, hiring, counseling and termination practices in compliance with applicable law and company requirements.
- Knowledge of all local and state food handling certifications and requirements.
- Basic knowledge of personal and network computer systems to communicate with corporate office, to create merchandise signage, to obtain and email data and information, etc.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier accountability and deposit control.
- Knowledge of inventory management and merchandising practices.
- Knowledge of food handling, safety and sanitation regulations.
- Ability to effectively communicate information and standards verbally and in writing to staff, suppliers and customers.
- Ability to interface with staff, suppliers and customers in a respectful and effective manner.
- Good organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations relating to store operations and business relationships.
- Ability to obtain the required local and state food handling management certifications.
WORK EXPERIENCE &/or EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent with post-secondary business school training preferred.
- Five or more years of retail store experience preferred. Experience to include at least one to two years as a store manager, or similar position in a retail grocery store or equivalent type operation.
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply on company website