Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day.® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operates more than 18,000 stores in 47 states, and we're still growing. Learn more about Dollar General at www.dollargeneral.com.
Under general supervision of the Store Manager, manages the Perishable Departments including, produce, fresh meat, packaged meats, and dairy, frozen food, bread, and thaw and sell bakery products. Assists Store Manager with efficient and effective inventory management, appealing and profitable merchandise presentation and quality customer service. Assists the Store Manager in ensuring a safe working environment and provide protection for company assets according to required procedures. Assists the Store Manager in ensuring staff and store compliance with all food handling rules and regulations.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist Store Manager, as directed, in ensuring the financial integrity of the store through strict cash accountability, key control, and adherence to company security practices and cash control procedures.
- Follow company policies and procedures as outlined in the Standard Operating Procedures manual, Employee Handbook, and company communications. Assist Store Manager in ensuring employee compliance.
- Maintain correct perishable stock levels based on store volume using the following tools
- Current Ads / Planners
- Produce Order guide
- Fresh Meat Recap and Order Guide
- Milk Sales history and order guide
- Vendor Order Guide
- Bread order planning and stales recap,
- Assist Store Manager, as directed, in training assigned associates in the proper presentation, freshness and pricing standards for all perishable areas.
- Assist Store Manager, as directed, in training assigned associates in the proper and safe handling of food in compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
- Train assigned associates in the proper stocking and rotation of Perishable products.
- Record Perishable Markdowns, while analyzing causes and taking corrective action to prevent recurrences.
- Train assigned associates in the proper grading and re-packaging standards in produce to minimize markdowns.
- Accurately record inventory levels as requested by the Store Support Center.
- Assist the Store Manager with ensuring that customers' needs and requests are routinely addressed in an efficient and timely manner. Maintain daily contact with customers to understand merchandise expectations and desires.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with sanitation standards and training associates assigned in the Perishable departments using the Cleaning Schedule.
- Assist with other operational areas as directed by the Store Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
- Ability to learn and perform cash register functions to generate reports.
- Ability to review Operating Statements and identify business trends (including sales, profitability and turn) expense control opportunities, shrink and errors.
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier accountability and deposit control.
- Knowledge of cash, facility and safety control policies and practices.
- Knowledge of inventory management and merchandising practices.
- Good organization skills with attention to detail
- Effective interpersonal and oral & written communication skills.
- Understanding of safety policies and practices.
- Ability to read and follow plan-o-gram and merchandise presentation guidance.
- Knowledge of and willingness to comply with company policies and procedures as outlined in the Standard Operating Procedures manual, Employee Handbook, and company communications.
- Ability and willingness to obtain required certifications in food handling.
WORK EXPERIENCE &/or EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent strongly preferred
- One year of experience in a retail environment and six months supervisory experience preferred
- Previous lead experience and/or grocery store experience preferred.
- Attainment of required local and state food handling certifications, if applicable.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply on company website