FN America, LLC is a U.S. subsidiary of FN Herstal, S.A., a global leader in the development and manufacturing of high-quality, reliable firearms for military, law enforcement and commercial customers worldwide. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia with manufacturing operations in Columbia, South Carolina, FN America is passionately committed to providing its customers with a portfolio of FN-branded products, training and support services that enhance user performance and safeguard their lives. For more information, visit us at or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Lead Design Engineer is responsible for creating designs, performing evaluations and establishing the technical data package that results in the full product development. Provides technical guidance and specific subject matter expertise. Additional responsibilities include testing and evaluation of new product to predetermined specifications. The Lead Design Engineer will also support product line extensions and improvements to existing product designs.
- Contributes to the Product Development Plan (PDP) initiative by developing new product platforms and derivatives. Supports industrialization activities including feasibility review, risk analysis and mitigation, detailed development, data package creation and product support
- Plans, conducts and documents hands-on product testing, sometimes extensive
- Responsible for creating an execution strategy using work-based scheduling software and tools and managing execution of deliverable milestones by leading a team of engineers
- Collaborates effectively both within the department and cross-functional team environment. Provides guidance to junior engineers.
- Develops and implements product design improvements.
*Other duties as assigned by management.
BSME or Bachelor of Applied Science or equivalent experience required.
Minimum 4 years of applicable experience for BS/BA degree or 10 years of applicable experience.
Skills and Competencies
All FN America employees are expected to demonstrate the behaviors of accountability, collaboration, communication, customer focus, and innovation. In addition, incumbents in this role must be able to:
- Create an execution strategy to include cost, work, and time for work assigned.
- Author thorough written and verbal status and technical reports.
- Utilize and follow FNA and industry engineering standards and procedures. Must have technical knowledge of all typical firearm processing technologies and expertise in at least one knowledge area, including machining processes, plastic injection molding, metal injection molding, investment casting, surface treating, and spring manufacturing.
- Properly design components and subassemblies that result in the successful development and validation of major new products.
- Fully utilize required tools on difficult tasks and/or group of tasks or equivalent.
Knowledge of GD&T per ASME Y14.5 1994 and 1982.
Lab Equipment and Measurement Tools
Development and Execution of Test Procedures
3D CAD software (PTC Creo preferred)
Project Management Principles (work-based schedule development and execution)
Design Analysis and Simulation Software (experience with CeTol, Ansys or Adams preferred)
Training on department specific Gateway (SharePoint based), PDS (PTC Windchill based), project management software will be required.
Typical office environment with some travel between buildings and to other locations required. May be exposed to loud noises, toxic chemicals, and dangerous machinery when on the plant floor.
All FN America employees have a responsibility to participate in the development of a safe and healthy workplace and to comply with instructions given for their own safety and health and that of others.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status
FN America, LLC is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please call: 803-736-0522. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Apply on company website