FN America, LLC is a U.S. subsidiary of FN Herstal, S.A., a global leader in the development and manufacturing of high-quality, reliable firearms for military, law enforcement and commercial customers worldwide. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia with manufacturing operations in Columbia, South Carolina, FN America is passionately committed to providing its customers with a portfolio of FN-branded products, training and support services that enhance user performance and safeguard their lives. For more information, visit us at or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Quality Engineer II is responsible for performing, coordinating, and/or facilitating problem solving, quality planning, the application of standardized quality tools, Quality Technician support of hold point inspection, and first article coordination and support.
- Develops and maintains quality plans for hold point inspection and receiving inspection.
- Interprets prints and basic Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) callouts and performs open setups to support the Quality Technicians during manufacturing part inspections.
- Supports the Metrology group in development of the Acceptance Inspection Equipment (AIE) and associated packaging of the information for submission to the customer.
- Facilitates internal audits and associated continuous systems improvements.
- Utilizes basic quality tools along with Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing techniques in the support of continuous improvement, root cause analysis, and corrective/preventative actions.
- Engages in activities that create a continuous improvement environment by sustaining Lean processes, suggesting areas of improvements in quality, cost, delivery, and safety, and actively supporting Lean, 5S, and value stream management initiatives.
- Participates in and successfully completes the Advanced Lean Manufacturing class.
- Mentors and trains level I Quality Engineers.
- Develops Statistical Process Control (SPC) systems for the area. Performs SPC training for the manufacturing employees. Analyzes and uses the SPC data for manufacturing continuous improvement.
- GD&T level II capable. Conducts as necessary, basic GD&T training.
- Leads complex problem-solving activities.
BS Engineering or related field is required.
Five years of manufacturing experience in precision machining.
Skills and Competencies
All FN America employees are expected to demonstrate accountability, collaboration, communication, customer focus, and innovation. Additional skills required include:
- Ability to comply with all established methods, quality standards, and time schedules applicable to this position.
- Working knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Experience with the function/handling of firearms and ammunition.
- Customer and Personal Service -- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Problem identification/corrective action skills can lead an interdepartmental meeting to work on problem solving/root cause analysis/work-around plans/risk assessment & mitigation
- High level of presentation skills to senior management and customer.
Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications to include Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Minitab. Proficiency in Auto Cad, Pro-E or equivalent preferred.
Black Belt and/or Lean Manufacturing certification preferred.
Typical office environment with some travel between buildings and to other locations required. May be exposed to loud noises, toxic chemicals, and dangerous machinery when on the plant floor.
All FN America employees have a responsibility to participate in the development of a safe and healthy
workplace and to comply with instructions given for their own safety and health and that of others.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status
FN America, LLC is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please email HR@FNAmerica.com or call: 803-736-0522. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Apply on company website