Company: Harbor Freight Tools
Location: Calabasas, CA
Career Level: Mid-Senior Level
Industries: Retail, Wholesale, Apparel
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide practical and proactive employment law counseling, legal advice, and day-to-day support for the Human Resources team and cross-functional business partners on a broad range of topics including performance management, employee discipline and separation, workplace investigations, leaves of absence and accommodations, recruiting and hiring, benefits, wage and hour compliance, compensation, unemployment and workers' compensation, immigration issues, and diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Develop and implement employment policies and procedures consistent with best practices and compliant with new and changing local, state, and federal requirements.
- Conduct and/or supervise internal workplace investigations regarding sensitive matters.
- Manage outside counsel and develop strategies for employment litigation and arbitration.
- Collaborate with the HR team to investigate and draft responses to federal and state administrative complaints (including EEOC and local agency charges).
- Represent the company in mediations, depositions, and court, as needed.
- Keep informed of relevant employment regulations and case law and assist in advising the company on strategic, business-oriented employment law guidance.
- Draft and revise employment-related agreements (including offer letters, confidentiality and intellectual property agreements, and separation agreements).
- Be a partner with the HR team in the generation and implementation of training on HR and employment law topics.
- Additional duties as assigned by management.
- Supervises staff – Position may require management of direct reports.
- Organizational Scope – All HFT locations/Region/District/Distribution Center
- Decision Making – Creates and develops policy and resolves problems
- Travel – yes 10%
Job Qualifications – Education and Experience
- J.D. from a nationally recognized law school and license to practice in California is required.
- Minimum of 6 years' experience with top law firm or similar role in-house with established company.
- Knowledge and understanding of employment litigation, policy, and advice in a business setting.
- Experience related to regulatory compliance for employment, benefit, and ERISA matters, including reviewing and advising on corporate benefit plans.
- Must be a team player and able to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the organization.
- Multi-state and International experience a plus.
- High level of computer skills.
- Ability to work in high volume high paced environment.
- Strong negotiation skills, able to take direction and resolve issues independently.
- Must be able to develop innovative solutions for difficult, complex and systematic problems that may have precedent setting implications for the company.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multitask, detail oriented, exceptional follow up skills and able to meet deadlines.
- Prefer top tier credentials
General office environment requiring ability to:
- stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time
- speak and listen to others in person and over the phone
- use keyboard and read from computer screen and reports
- lift up to 15 lbs.
About Harbor Freight Tools
In 1977, when Harbor Freight Tools was started as a small family-owned business, we made a commitment to provide working people with great quality tools at the lowest prices. And for over 40 years, Harbor Freight Tools has done just that. From hand tools and generators, to air and power tools, from shop equipment to automotive tools, Harbor Freight offers more than 5,000 tools and accessories at quality levels that match or exceed competing brands, but at prices that are up to 80% less.
We're not your typical retailer. We're a team of high-achievers, who have a passion for excellence and continuous improvement and obsess about getting things done. We're also equally committed to doing the right thing and giving back to our community. And for us, collaboration is the golden rule. We're a 40 year-old, $4 billion company with over 30 million loyal customers and growing. If you are looking for a not so ordinary and highly rewarding career opportunity, we would love to talk with you.
Delivering Value to the Hardworking Since 1977
Apply on company website