The purpose of this position is to serve as a liaison between patient/family, payers, Patient Financial Services, and other health care team members. You'll be asked to facilitate patient tracking and billing by obtaining/verifying accurate and complete demographic information, financially securing, and collecting out-of-pocket responsibility from guarantors to maximize hospital reimbursement.
- High School Diploma or GED, required
- 2 years patient registration and insurance verification experience in a health care setting, required.
- Emergency Department registration experience, strongly preferred
- Knowledge of various insurance plans (HMO, PPO, POS, Medicare, Medicaid) and payors, required.
- Basic understanding of medical terminology
- Excellent customer service
- Working knowledge of MS Office (MS Word, Excel and Outlook), strongly preferred.
- Position requires fluency in English; written and oral communication
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain compliance with EMTALA, DNV, HIPAA and all other hospital and government regulations applicable to the Admissions settings and in handling of Medical Records
- Provide excellent customer service at all times by effectively meeting customer needs, understanding who the customers are, and building quality relationships
- Answer telephone in a professional and courteous manner, record messages and communicate to appropriate medical staff
- Provide and obtain signatures on required forms and consents
- Obtain, verify, and enter complete and accurate demographic information on all accounts to facilitate smooth processing through the revenue cycle
- Verify insurance benefits for all plans associated with patient, confirming the correct payor and plan is entered into the patient accounting system
- Obtain insurance authorizations as required by individual insurance plans where applicable
- Maximize the efficiency and accuracy of the collection process by pursuing collections at the time of service in a customer service-oriented fashion
- Scan all registration and clinical documentation into the system and maintain all medical records
- Assist with coordinating the transfer of patients to other hospitals when necessary
- Respond to medical record requests from patients, physicians and hospitals
- Maintain cash drawer according to policies
- Maintain log of all patients, payments received, transfers and hospital admissions
- Maintain visitor/vendor log
Other Job Functions
- Maintain a clean working environment for the facility. This includes the front desk, restroom, waiting room, break area and patient rooms when assistance is needed by medical staff
- Receive deliveries including mail from various carriers and forward to appropriate departments as needed
- Notify appropriate contact of any malfunctioning equipment or maintenance needs
- Attend staff meetings or other company sponsored or mandated meetings as required
- Assist medical staff as needed
- Perform additional duties as assigned
Apply on company website