Req ID: 34381
Travel: Less than 30%
McLean, VA, US, 22102
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 7 years of experience required
Equivalency: Combination of education & experience considered
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers who will continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
The Senior Principal Network Engineer will be responsible for designing, implementing, and supporting expert level network solutions that take into account appropriate redundancy, availability, scalability, security and manageability requirements of Intelsat and Intelsat's customer solutions. This individual will be part of a team that is responsible for the technical strategy, vision, architecture and evolution of the Intelsat ground network infrastructure and associated technologies. This role will be responsible for the architecture, design and implementation of fiber network infrastructure and IP/MPLS technologies that are required to support Intelsat's Managed Services Network. He/she must have the expertise to create network designs and follow through with their implementations and operational hand overs. This individual will work collaboratively with other groups to lead sustaining engineering activities such as network upgrades, enhancements, expansions and provide last-level support of escalated technical issues.
Are you up to the challenge?
- Leading the IP Engineering team in design and deployment work related to the IP-MPLS/Segment Routing based Service provider Infrastructure services and solutions.
- Standardizing existing and new network solutions. Documenting and presenting the solutions to product and marketing groups for inclusion into Intelsat's official Managed Services product portfolio.
- Leading network design efforts pertinent to the fiber and IP/MPLS backbone. This includes designing and implementing new technologies, new features, integrating new vendor equipment as well as capacity planning and capacity management activities resulting from growth of existing services.
- Performing continuous maintenance of the network infrastructure which involves testing, upgrades and deployment of Fiber, IP and associated infrastructure elements in various POPs and Teleports.
- Overseeing ongoing operational issue resolution as well as maintain and develop procedures when required to sustain internal engineering needs and projects.
- Providing last-level support for Intelsat Managed Services network to include IP/MPLS core/backbone and Fiber network infrastructure and associated technologies.
- Participating in regular one-week long on-call rotation to support the core network.
- Working with different Engineering groups to develop requirements and guidance for the engineering of new products along with how to integrate them into the existing managed services product suite.
Can you drive these processes?
- Gathering full lifecycle requirements, technology evaluation and purchasing, solutions design, configuration, implementation and testing of new Intelsat Core transport technology solutions as well as customer data transport solutions.
- Developing customized network solutions for customers to leverage fiber and IP/MPLS technologies. Analyze customer network transport requirements as well as assess impact to the infrastructure prior to service activation.
- Evaluating and ensuring the inclusion of operational and customer impact requirements during new implementations and upgrades.
- Executing and documenting planned and emergency maintenance evolutions, which will involve the use of Engineering Change Requests (ECR's) with detailed procedures for conducting scheduled maintenances and handling failure scenarios.
- Attending technical conferences and vendor meetings to ensure Intelsat stays aligned with the latest technologies and industry best practices.
You should definitely have:
- Bachelor's Degree with at least seven years of relevant design experience in Fiber/IP network architecture and design in an ISP environment; an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered in lieu of the stated minimum education and experience requirements.
- Expert-level knowledge of IP technologies, including but not limited to; MBGP, MPLS (traffic engineering, L2/L3 VPN), segment routing, ISIS, OSPF, RSVP, LDP, VXLAN, EVPN, PIM and multicast.
- Expert-level knowledge of switching, including but not limited to; IGMP, 802.XX, Gigabit Ethernet, 10G Ethernet, Vlan/Trunking (802.1q and ISL), Etherchannel, Wireless, Spanning Tree (STP), HSRP, VRRP.
- Extensive experience installing and configuring Cisco routers and switches such ASR9K, PTX 1000, ASR 99k and ASR 1002HX along with associated line cards and technologies.
- Knowledge or experience in service provider services such as NorthStar SDN Controller email, Azure cloud services etc.
- Knowledge of ancillary technologies used to support telecommunication networks such as management and metric gathering tools (SNMP, Netflow), packet capturing tools and automation tools.
- Understanding of the technology interface between Media/Video applications and network transport protocols such as IP/MPLS, Traffic Engineering using Segment routing.
- Experience in the non-technical aspects of network engineering to include interfacing with various levels of employees, mentoring more junior staff and providing reports to management.
- Strong documentation skills required for SOW's, RFP's, design and planning documents, etc.
- Strong communication and analytical skills.
- Must be able and willing to travel domestically and internationally up to 20-25%.
- Must be able and willing to perform physical support activities (e.g. cable tracing/running, racking, stacking, replacing, and installing hardware) as requested.
It would be nice if you had:
- Network certifications such as the JNCIE or CCIE
- Experience with deploying and troubleshooting L2/l3 VPN in a service provider environment
- Knowledge of routing protocols and their deployment in service provider environments using standards methodologies, practices, concepts, and solutions
What it's like to work with us:
Intelsat is connecting the world and transforming the satellite landscape by reaching beyond the traditional satellite industry. We are defining new products that will open new, profitable markets. To help us reach this goal, you should be a bold thinker who will perform a key role in shaping Intelsat innovation for years to come.
- We emphasize personal and professional growth
- Awesome benefits including PTO, medical, tuition reimbursement, and training
- Fun, diverse, and inclusive culture
Other Job Info:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to think outside the box.
- Desired Certifications: Cisco/Juniper Networking certifications.
- Ability to analyze situations and utilize problem solving abilities under pressure.
- Strong ability to interact efficiently with peers and customers.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office tools including Excel and Visio.
- Python or similar coding language expertise
- This role is subject to ITAR; candidates must be a US Person (this includes US Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Individual such as an asylee or refugee).
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Apply on company website