We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Job TitleDirector, Public Policy JapanWho is Mastercard?
Mastercard is a global technology company in the payments industry. Our mission is to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart, and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments, and businesses realize their greatest potential.
Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. With connections across more than 210 countries and territories, we are building a sustainable world that unlocks priceless possibilities for all.
The Public Policy team is looking for a Director to drive our engagement with Japanese government, opinion formers, regulators and others in the payments community. The ideal candidate is passionate about policy, intellectually curious, analytical and brings an deep understanding of the technology industry.
Mastercard's Public Policy team protects and defends Mastercard's reputational and regulatory interests in markets around the world. We build programs that earn the goodwill of governments, regulators, merchants and consumers through direct policy-maker and stakeholder engagement and public-private partnerships. Our aim is to improve the regulatory and legislative environment and build the platform for policies that grow Mastercard's business by supporting and advising Mastercard's strategy, working to ensure that when regulation is sought, it is done so sensibly and fairly.
This role leads Mastercard's public policy advocacy efforts in Japan and will be responsible for delivering the government relations discipline, acting as point person for relationships with Mastercard's legislative and regulatory audiences and for building other third-party allies.
• Develop and deliver a local public policy strategy and implementable program that both leads and responds to regulatory and legislative opportunities and threats to Mastercard and the payments industry.
• Advance bilateral advocacy opportunities between the US and Japan – typically through embassies, Departments of Trade and Commerce, bilateral business associations (ACCJ, USJBC) etc.
• Scan the regulatory, legislative and political horizon for relevant moves (both immediate and long-term). Brief local, regional and global executive management of developments and recommend our response.
• Contribute to Public Policy and advocacy activity within Mastercard, including coordinating and drafting responses to public consultation papers, position papers and speaking notes for Company representation in conferences, panels, round tables etc.
• Participating in industry associations and other industry group work on regulatory change including contributing to industry association responses to consultation papers.
• Own Third Party strategic engagement on policy advocacy and coalition building.
• Manage our local government affairs agencies to represent and advocate the company's interests and direct personal lobbying of issues vital to the company including budgets, registration, lobbying laws and performance management of agencies.
All About You
• The ideal candidate will have a distinguished track record as a high achieving government relations executive with a demonstrated capacity to build and execute public affairs programs that support business growth within a dynamic and changing corporation.
• Professional level written and spoken Japanese and English communication and interpersonal skills as a foundation for developing and maintaining strong internal relationships at all levels, cross-functionally and across business units and geographies within Mastercard.
• Educated to degree level, with management experience in similar Public Policy/Government Relations roles in a major multinational business or agency or high-profile association and with strong background in dealing with Government in terms of frequency and quality of relationships.
• Youll have or will quickly gain an intimate working knowledge of the processes and inner workings of Mastercard's business and policy structure to allow the ability to analyse the impact of legislation on the company and develop strategies to move their interests forward.
• Familiarity with current political, legal, regulatory and market trends impacting Mastercard.
• Strong leadership skills with success building and enhancing credibility for the function with the organization.
• A team player who will work well with senior business and functional leaders of Mastercard. Must be able to work independently and constructively as a collaborative team-player. High-energy, self-motivated.
• Must possess strong analytical approach to problem solving, ability to develop creative solutions to complex problems, able to deal with short deadlines and work productively in high pressure situations in dynamic commercial and policy environments.
• Willing to travel both within Japan, and as necessary to regional HQ in Singapore and global headquarters in Purchase, New York.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
• Abide by Mastercard's security policies and practices;
• Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
• Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
• Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard's guidelines.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We've implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we're all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Apply on company website