Requisition 17565: Assistant Manager PMO - SAP #LI-NM1
Under general guidance, the Assistant Manager IT PMO will lead a team of Project Managers and manage a portfolio of projects for a defined area of the IT organization. Working closely with PMO Leadership, the Assistant Manager helps to develop best practices, processes and policy to ensure alignment with IT Executive Leaderships vision for successful project execution. The Assistant Manager must possess strong leadership, negotiation, communication, relationship building, program and project management and interpersonal skills. The Assistant Manager is responsible for day-to-day operations and actively oversees projects managed within the PMO.
Education and Experience
• Leads a team of Project Managers to ensure all projects within area of responsibility are delivered within the defined scope, quality, time and budget requirements.
• Provides coaching and guidance of a team of project managers and responsible for resource management and allocation of project management staff based on demand.
• Perform team member supervision including performance management, career growth and development.
• Serve as single point of contact for all Project Management recruiting needs within defined area of responsibility.
• Assists PMO Leadership in building a world class PMO organization, improving the overall consistency, predictability and efficiency of the organization's project delivery capability.
• Contribute to the continuous improvement of project and program management related processes and tools.
• Responsible for overseeing Demand Management within assigned area of responsibility working with project sponsors, business stakeholders, and IT managers to ensure project justification and prioritization through completion of business cases.
• Accountable for planning, management and governance of assigned project portfolio including resource capacity management, budget management and stakeholder satisfaction.
• Provide strategic and tactical team leadership and guidance to ensure team is executing on core project management capabilities to deliver business value.
• Assess and audit projects ensuring project management standards are being executed across assigned project portfolio.
• Act as an escalation point for mitigation of project risks and resolution of project issues.
• Review and provide guidance on project communications including status reports, project steering committee meetings and other defined project meetings and deliverables.
• Recognize, analyze and report on trends, and provide courses of action for improvement.
• Align with IT Leadership within assigned area of responsibility to ensure accomplishment of objectives.
• Ensure goals for portfolio of projects are accomplished and meet business objectives.
Required Level: Bachelor's degree
Preferred: Master's degree
• computer science
• business administration,
• engineering or a related discipline (information technology focus a plus)
• 5+ years managing multiple SAP projects and at least one full lifecycle implementation of SAP
o Experience with ECC and/or S/4HANA is ideal (especially transition to S4). Would not worry too much about specific modules the broader exposure the better.
• Proven vendor management experience (can be as part of managing implementation project working with system Integrators/3rd party vendors)
• Prior experience with Agile and Jira, experience working in an environment transitioning from Waterfall to Agile (SAP ASAP to Activate) is ideal
Licenses / Certifications:
Required: Active PMP, CSM or other Agile Certifications
• Experience managing an IT Portfolio or Project Management Office
• Experience in a supervisory or management position
• Demonstrated ability to set and meet goals, assess resource needs, develop schedules, monitor and communicate status, and develop processes and procedures
• Experience managing external partner relationships and contract staff
• Experience with Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and various methodologies (Waterfall, Agile etc….)
• Advanced IT System Implementation and Integration experience
• Experience within defined area of responsibility in SAP
• Advanced knowledge and use of MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, SharePoint and Project
• Experience with Project Portfolio Management (PPM) tools (i.e. MS Project Server or similar tools) and Agile tools (i.e. Jira or similar tools)
• Proven experience preparing and presenting effective presentations to Executive Leadership
Skills and Abilities:
• Strong Leadership
• Ability to take direction and work well under limited supervision
• Detail-oriented with excellent organizational and time management skills
• Analytical, problem-solver with decisive and timely decision-making capabilities
• Ability to multitask and prioritize assignments
• Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to speak and write about technical issues for both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Ability to take ambiguity and clarify for self and others
• Highly motivated and self-directed with the ability to see the long-term vision
Shift Work: No
Weekend Work: Yes
Travel Required: 0-2 Days per Month
New Headquarters – Atlanta, GA
Norfolk Southern is in the process of constructing a vibrant & modern corporate HQ in Midtown Atlanta, GA. Our HQ is scheduled for completion in the summer of 2021. To check out a sneak peek, we've linked a playlist below.
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is a Fortune 300 organization and one of the nation's premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers.
We are a team of more than 20,000 employees working together to maintain our reputation as "The Thoroughbred of Transportation." As an industry leader, Norfolk Southern offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
At Norfolk Southern, we believe in celebrating our individuality. By leveraging the unique backgrounds and viewpoints of our employees, we can create a culture of innovation, respect, and inclusion. We know that employees thrive in a workplace where differing viewpoints, ideas, and experiences are freely shared and valued. As such, we encourage all employees to contribute their distinctive skills and capabilities to our organization.
Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation and, gender identity. Together, we power progress.
Don't just work here, Thrive here.
Apply on company website