Requisition 15709: Control Systems Engineer
Norfolk Southern's Engineering Department (Track Geometry Group) operates and maintains precision, real-time, track inspection vehicles. We are seeking someone to assist with the design, development, and support of the track inspection and measurement systems across the NS system
- Assist in improving existing software designs
- Support and enhance existing software products; system and software changes, improvements, testing and release
- Design, develop, code, and troubleshoot real-time, multi-threaded software applications and associated user interfaces
- Conduct field tests and provide support/trouble-shooting
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or similar field of study.
- 3+ years of releveant work experience with real-time data acquisition, analysis and presentation
Experience, Skills, & Abilities:
- Proven track record of developing real-time multi-threaded, object oriented software applications in C++
- Proficiency in developing real-time software applications using C++ for large scale computation
- Proficiency in algorithm prototyping and system modeling with MATLAB, Python, or software
- Ability to perform system research, design and analysis functions with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of counter/timer computer cards for pulse counting / generation
- Digital circuit design ;TTL / CMOS logic, RS422 differential signals
- Orcad Capture / Orcad PCB Editor Software Package
- Analog data acquisition / signal conditioning, use of electrical signal testing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to climb a ladder to gain access to railway freight cars, passenger cars, and locomotives
Technical Skills/Software Development:
- C++ Win 32 API
- C# .Net Win Forms and WPF
- Labview (including FPGA module)
- Microsoft Visual Studio software development environment
- Reading / Writing data to TCP and UDP Sockets; TCP streams and UDP multicast/unicast messaging
- SQL Server 2016 Administration (creating tables, indexing, inserts, etc.)
- SSIS SQL Server Utility for processing data and importing into database tables
- VB.Net Win Forms
- C++ OpenCV machine vision library
- FIR/IIR Digital filter design and implementation in software
Shift Work: No
Travel Required: Up to 10% of the time
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is a Fortune 300 organization and one of the nation's premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers.
We are a team of more than 20,000 employees working together to maintain our reputation as "The Thoroughbred of Transportation." As an industry leader, Norfolk Southern offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
At Norfolk Southern, we believe in celebrating our individuality. By leveraging the unique backgrounds and viewpoints of our employees, we can create a culture of innovation, respect, and inclusion. We know that employees thrive in a workplace where differing viewpoints, ideas, and experiences are freely shared and valued. As such, we encourage all employees to contribute their distinctive skills and capabilities to our organization.
Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation and, gender identity. Together, we power progress. More information can be found at NS-EEO
Don't just work here, Thrive here.
Apply on company website