Inspire health. Serve with compassion. Be the difference.
Job SummaryConducts or supports laboratory testing to aid in diagnosis and treatment of disease. Ensures proficiency and accuracy in all aspects of laboratory testing. Follows established policies and procedures. Qualified as meeting CLIA requirements of General Supervisor (Assess Competency for High Complexity Testing) and Technical Consultant (Assess competency for Moderate Complexity Testing). Applies professional knowledge of medical technology to these tests, to include a broad knowledge of testing methodologies and quality assurance procedures and specialized knowledge of disease state and clinical significance of tests in the diagnosis of disease.
- Demonstrates mastery of medical technology principles, concepts and methods as related to clinical laboratory procedures and performs testing with precision and accuracy. Performs and reports test results for waived, moderate, and high complexity clinical laboratory procedures as assigned and as outlined in the standard operating procedures (SOPs). Uses professional knowledge to solve problems or escalates to appropriate individual. Operates computerized laboratory data systems/applications as assigned. Reviews pending work using established protocol. - 15%
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory and non-mandatory continuing education; accesses training needs and participates in Continuing Education (CE) programs annually. Completes all required 6 month and annual competencies in required time frame and participates in or oversees proficiency testing as assigned. - 15%
- Monitors Quality Control (QC) and Quality Management (QM) for area assigned. Evaluates QC results for acceptability and investigates variances, notifying the appropriate individual of unresolved issues. Performs lookback if required. Monitors supply/reagent inventory and uses laboratory resources efficiently. Documents receipt and opening of a supply. Monitors expiration dates of all supplies and ensures adequate supplies are on hand. - 15%
- Understands and complies with standards and conditions set forth by various governmental and accrediting agencies in assigned operational area. Performs competency assessments following regulatory standards. Assumes responsibility for operation of the section in absence of supervisor and serves as General Supervisor or Technical Consultant. Instructs students, new team members, laboratory support staff, and hospital personnel in procedure, technique, and theory. Maintains a safe and clean working environment and responds immediately to safety violations. - 15%
- Uses the correct policies and procedures in the collection, labelling, handling and processing of all specimens. Verifies identification of the patient, specimen, and results. Evaluates specimen integrity based on department standard operating procedures (SOPs). - 10%
- Recognizes customer satisfaction issues and responds/escalates appropriately. Supports Prisma Health system and campus financial, customer service, and quality initiatives in a positive and productive manner. Willingly completes and performs team assignments. Participates in work unit action plans and supports department-based goals and initiatives which contribute to the success of Prisma Health. - 10%
- Communicates information including critical values to other members of the healthcare team and performs required documentation. Educates and supports laboratory customers. - 10%
- Operates laboratory instrumentation. Establishes standards and writing instructions for calibrating or standardizing instruments and equipment. Identifies real and potential situations or detects equipment malfunctions. Investigates and resolves technical problems. Troubleshoots the problem with appropriate individual or service representative and documents appropriately. Performs and documents maintenance and function/operational checks on instrumentation. - 10%
- Education - Bachelor's degree in chemical, physical, biological, clinical laboratory science, or medical technology from an accredited institution.
- Experience - 2 years of technical experience post training in high and moderate complexity testing
- Mastery of medical technology principles, concepts and methods as evidenced by successful completion of one of the following: MT (ASCP) or MLS (ASCP)cm or Categorical (ASCP) or Categorical (ASCP)cm or MT (AMT)
In lieu of required edcuation, experience, and licensure requirements, foreign degrees equivalent to CLIA requirements for Technical Consultant approved by Administrative and Medical Directors will be considered an equivalent substitution.
Other required skills and experience - organizational skills, ability to prioritize tasks appropriately, and computer skills
Work ShiftDay (United States of America)
Facility1510 Richland Hospital
Department15107012 Laboratory-Rapid Care
Share your talent with us! Our vision is simple: to transform healthcare for the benefits of the communities we serve. The transformation of healthcare requires talented individuals in every role here at Prisma Health.
Apply on company website