DescriptionSAIC is seeking an experienced Software Engineer to begin an exciting and challenging career supporting NOAA. Must have either Java and/or dev-ops/scripting experience.
Location: Suitland, MD.
Job and Role Description: Support NOAA's Product Distribution and Access (PDA) system. This is the portal through which NOAA will distribute near-real-time data from both current and next generation weather satellites. The PDA system interacts constantly with a large Oracle Enterprise database environment. Software to be supported includes data receipt from low-level processing systems, middleware and database that manage the data and creates custom data products for users, and the user portal through which users request products and configure subscriptions for the receipt of those products.
• Support the delivery of the system from the development contractor and the transition into the production environment.
• Monitoring, troubleshooting, and developing solutions to operational problems that arise. Implementing, testing, and validating enhancements from the development contractor and developing coding solutions for functions beyond the baseline system functionality (tailoring").
• Share on-call duties for off hours (evenings/weekends/holidays) anomaly response on a weekly rotating basis with other team members. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop software solutions that will meet or exceed business requirements; the development effort includes designing and implementing modules to the system specifications, conducting unit testing, troubleshooting issues and producing detailed proposals to resolve issues.
• Evaluate new coding techniques, tools, technologies, and implement as appropriate.
• Mentor entry and mid-level developers.
• Consult on requirements solicitation and definition.
• Design software solutions per systems requirements.
• Code software solutions per designs.
• Code reviews, unit test, and integrate coded modules.
• Assist other developers in resolving issues by providing guidance and training.
• Support testing and remediate defects.
• Support users through troubleshooting and analysis of production logs and data.
• Bachelor's degree and 8 years of related experience equivalent.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust Security Clearance
• United States Citizenship
• Must be able to work in a Team Environment
• Experience with the Key elements of the target software environment including: o Java/JEE o SQL scripting o ActivMQ messaging / Enterprise Service Bus o PHP, Python, and Shell scripting o RHEL 6/7 on VM-ware, Windows 10 o Apache, WSO2 o ClearCase, Subversion, Bamboo, JIRA
• C, C++, Fortran, IDL
• Tripwire Enterprise and Tripwire Log Center
• Solarwinds Enterprise monitoring and alerting
• Systems Administration experience in Linux and Windows environments
• Database programming. Oracle preferred
• Database administration. Oracle preferred
• netCDF-4, arcGIS, other meteorological/scientific data formats
• Experience supporting a system in an Enterprise IT environment
• Demonstrated troubleshooting skills
• Waterfall and/or Agile System Development Life Cycle (SCLC)
• Programming engineering or science disciplines
• NASA/NOAA ground system and product generation/distribution experience a plus
Apply on company website