SAIC is seeking a Mechanical Ground Support Equipment (MGSE) Engineer on the OMES II contract in support of the Restore-L program in the Satellite Servicing Projects Division (SSPD) at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. This position is located in Greenbelt, MD.
The Restore-L mission is a Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) Satellite Servicing Project Division (SSPD) managed mission. Restore-L is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the Restore-L Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. The SSPD is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test and operations of the Restore-L Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
JOB DESCRIPTION:The engineer will support MGSE development as a member of the Restore-L I&T team. The Restore-L I&T subsystem performs the integration and test of all Restore-L hardware including the servicing payload and spacecraft bus.
Job duties include:
- Contribute to the mechanical design, test, and integration of MGSE hardware to support flight I&T
- Responsible for developing, designing, documenting, releasing, and testing of MGSE hardware within the program's schedule, budget, and technical requirements
- Manage conceptual design, trade studies, drawing generation, documentation release, and testing
- Responsible for hardware through the full product life cycle (design, fabrication, debug, integration, test and maintenance support)
- Interpret and comply with mechanical Interface Control Drawings (ICD)
- Develop work instructions and procedures
- Develop mechanical parts lists
- Incorporate engineering change notices and feedback into the iterative processes for design changes
- Oversee technicians in hardware development and testing
QualificationsREQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, or closely related field with 9+ years of related experience
- Proficient in generating models and drawings in Creo computer aided design (CAD) software
- Experience with hardware integration and test, preferably at NASA or in aerospace
- Strong proficiency in resolving technical and schedule issues in order to ensure that deliverables are met on schedule
- Must be able to pass a Government background investigation.
- Windchill software experience with Creo
- Proof/load testing experience
- Ability to assess requirements to generate a design and documentation using standard industry tools/programs
- Demonstrated understanding of the applicable engineering and manufacturing knowledge required for product design and testing. Exercises engineering judgment in developing appropriate decisions considering decision criteria, implications, and possible consequences, to ensure product design integrity
- Knowledge of various engineering disciplines such as electrical, mechanical, thermal, and systems. The ability to communicate with technical personnel from multiple skill areas and functions to evaluate technical information and issues impacting design, production, and support of products, services, or other deliverables
- Familiarity with MIL standards and requirements, NASA standards and requirements, AS9100 or ISO 9001
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work as a team member
- Must be capable of functioning in multi-disciplined design teams across multiple systems
- Must be well organized and possess excellent communication skills
- Able to plan and prioritize work effort and quickly respond to issues and questions
- Ability to attend to assignments with only limited direction
Apply on company website