Career Level: Mid-Senior Level
Industries: Technology, Software, IT, Electronics
DescriptionOverseen by Program Executive Office (PEO) for Unmanned and Small Combatants (USC) and located at the Washington Navy Yard, DC, PMS 515 designs, procures, and builds the Navy's next multi-mission Small Surface Combatant delivering the capabilities needed to support a range of fleet operations in the most affordable manner possible. The small combatant ships will be a blue-water capable, multi-mission ship capable of operating in contested environments. It will have the ability to protect itself and potentially others with improved air defense capability, via the radar and weapons improvements, and shock-hardened systems for decreased vulnerability.
The Naval Architect may perform any combination of the following:
- Design, develop and analyze new ships and ship system concepts
- Develop complex designs for current and conceptualized ships, systems and equipment.
- Use design software to prepare plans, drawings and analytical models.
- Evaluate designs for feasibility. Recommend and implement changes to designs based on test and analysis
- Research new technology and development tools to remain informed of current technology with respect to ship design and systems
- Study design proposals and specifications to establish basic characteristics of a ship, such as size, weight, and speed
- Develop sectional and waterline curves of the hull to establish the center of gravity, ideal hull form, and data on buoyancy and stability
- Design entire ship hulls and superstructures, following safety standards
- Design the layout of ships' interiors, including passenger compartments, cargo space, ladder wells, and elevators
- Confer with marine engineers to design the layout of boiler room equipment, heating and ventilation systems, refrigeration equipment, and propulsion machinery
- Lead teams from a variety of specialties to oversee building and testing prototypes
- Evaluate how ships perform during trials, both at dock and at sea, and change designs as needed to make sure national and international standards are met
QualificationsMinimum Degree Requirement: Bachelor's degree in engineering
Minimum Years' Experience: 10 years professional experience in Naval Architecture
Minimum Specialized Experience: Experience communicating with SES/Flag level personnel
Desired QualificationsPreferred Degree Requirement: Master's degree in naval architecture or marine engineering
Preferred Certifications: Professional Engineer License
Preferred Years' Experience: 15 years in Naval Architecture
Preferred Specialized Experience: DoD/DoN procedures and Policies (DoD 5000 process)
Apply on company website