DescriptionSHIFT: Days (rotating weekends)
St. David's Round Rock Medical Center is part of St. David's HealthCare, one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2014. With 171 beds, the hospital's comprehensive services include advanced cardiac care at the Heart Hospital of Austin at St. David's Round Rock—the first specialized cardiac facility in Williamson County—with the only Hybrid Operating Room (OR) in the county; as well as emergency services in a 24-hour emergency department, including advanced trauma care with a Level II Trauma Center; St. David's Urgent Care Round Rock; and St. David's Emergency Center in Cedar Park. St. David's Round Rock Medical Center is also known for providing advanced orthopedic and robotic services, among other complex specialties. In 2016, the hospital received the Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence from Healthgrades and also earned a national distinction for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group.
We offer you an excellent total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefit package and growth opportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do excellent work with us. Your benefits include 401k, PTO medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program, employee stock purchase program and student loan repayment. We would love to talk to you about this fantastic opportunity.
The Patient Care Technician performs a variety of basic care services related to activities of daily living under the direct supervision of a registered nurse (RN) and/or licensed vocational nurse (LVN). The Patient Care Technician assists the nursing staff in providing patient care according to hospital policies and procedures. The Patient Care Technician accepts assignments on other units when necessary. The Patient Care Technician assists in maintaining a clean, well organized and adequately stocked patient care unit. Employee's conduct must reflect the Company's values and a commitment to the Code of Conduct ethics and compliance program. Acts with honesty and integrity. Treats colleagues, customers, patients and families with respect, loyalty and dignity. Roles may differ on specific units or facilities based upon needs of department. Participates in providing patient specific care standards as directed, and follows service excellence standards to ensure high levels of patient satisfaction.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participates in providing direct care as directed, according to standards
- Can work with people from diverse socio-economic backgrounds
- Communicates all findings in the correct/concise/clear written and or verbal format
- Can recognize abnormal findings i.e. VS, Skin changes, I&O, etc. and report findings to the nurse
- Can recognize and respond appropriately in an emergency situation
- Applies knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span to identify patient and family requirements relative to age-specific needs
- Functions as a sitter, when appropriate
- Can perform skills to support direct care
- Can organize, set priorities and manage multiple priorities
- Can adjust to a rapidly changing work environment
- Can maintain a clean, well organized and adequately stocked patient care area
- Maintains equipment in good working order
- Submits requests for repair appropriately
- Uses and charges supplies appropriately
- Can input physician orders, as appropriate
- Can operate the patient call system
- Answers and transfers phone calls. Break down and/or copies charts/forms as needed
- Acts as preceptor for new, floating and cross-training PCT's
- Have knowledge of limited role of medication security, handling, storage and transport of non-narcotic medications under the approval and direction of a supervisor
- Phlebotomy for lab specimens, blood cultures
- Foley catheter care and removal.
- Nasal swabs
- Assists with surgical aseptic/sterile procedures maintaining sterile/aseptic technique
- Assist with set up of equipment as needed
- Sitting Duties, as appropriate (for suicidal and non-suicidal patients)
- Maintains visual contact with the patient at all times
- Never leaves the patient unattended even when patient has visitors. Sitter must remain Never leaves patient in bathroom alone, especially suicidal patients
- Patient may not leave the floor except for diagnostic procedures and will be accompanied by the sitter at all times
- Checks the patient room for unsafe items such as razor blades, matches, cigarette lighters, glass receptacles, metal eating utensils, etc, at the beginning of each shift and after any visitors have been present
- Collects meal utensils after each meal and removes from room
- Communicates patient behavior or statements referencing harm to nurse
- Uses the call light or phone for any assistance. Pulls the call light out of the socket or uses emergency call light in an emergency
- Documents observations at least every 15 minutes or more often if heightened observation level
- Is familiar with the plan of care
- Can follow instructions for the care performed
- Communicates to the nurse any data appropriate to the plan of care
- Provides meaningful input to the evaluation
- Communicates information to RN and LVN for evaluation of patient care
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or equivalent or proof of higher level of education required if hired after September 2010; Successful completion of week one PCT Intensive Training upon hire. Completion of a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) or, EMT certification, or minimum of first year nursing student or minimum of one year PCT experience or successful completion of two week PCT Intensive Training
Previous experience as a PCT II, CNA, or second year nursing student, including acute care hospital experience and specific experience in the clinical services provided by the unit.
Our Company's recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.
Apply on company website