The USAID-funded Legal Reform Program project in Uzbekistan, implemented by Tetra Tech International Development is currently accepting expressions of interest for an International Legislative Expert on Diplomatic Service Law. This position will be remote for the main office in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs' Treaty law department is one of the key actors in ensuring the compliance of the national legislation, related to foreign policy, with the principles of International Law. For this reason, the Treaty Law Department was entrusted by MFA to coordinate the process of developing the draft Law on Diplomatic Service. The working group led by the MFA Treaty Law Department has developed a first draft of the Law and requested LRP support in conducting international legal expertise of the draft Law. The role of the international exert will be to ensure the draft Law on Diplomatic Service compliance with the international best practice and standards. This is a remote, short-term consultancy position.
Responsibilities: In coordination with the ICOP, Legal Training Specialist, and other LRP team members as appropriate and required the consultant will carry out the key tasks, activities, and deliverables set forth below:
* Analyze the text of the draft Law on Diplomatic Service remotely
* Conduct online meetings with the MFA working group to define the areas that require the attention of the international expert
* Prepare preliminary legal expertise of the draft Law on Diplomatic Service and prepare a presentation of the main points for discussion with the working group
* Deliver the presentation and conduct online discussion on the legal expertise of the Draft Law on Diplomatic Service with the working group
* Develop a final report with recommendations to ensure compliance of the new Law with the best international practices and standards
* Postgraduate degree in international relations, political science, foreign policy or other relevant discipline
* At least 10 years of experience of work related to a diplomatic service
* Any related experience in legislative drafting
* English fluency required
* Proficiency in Russian and/or Uzbek languages is an advantage
* Candidate must have strong analytical and writing skills as well as experience of working remotely
Apply on company website