Medical Healthcare Interpreter, Registry (Spanish)
Join one of the nation's most comprehensive academic medical centers, UChicago Medicine. The International Program department has an exciting opportunity for a Medical Healthcare Interpreter, Registry – Bilingual Spanish to conduct accurate interpretation for Limited English Proficient (LEP) patients, their families, visitors; patient care staff, physicians, nurses, lab technicians and other healthcare providers, through the appropriate medical interpreter technique training at the medical center.
Spanish Medical Healthcare Interpreter Job Summary
In this role, the Medical Healthcare Interpreter, Registry will facilitate communication between patients and families with limited English proficiency (LEP) and their physicians, nurses, lab technicians and other healthcare providers.
In addition, will:
- demonstrate proficiency and ability to communicate medical information accurately in both English and at least one other qualified language
- have the ability to orally interpret
- have the ability to orally translate essential UChicago Medicine medical document
- practice principles of confidentiality, impartiality, respect, professionalism, integrity, accuracy, and cultural competence when serving our Limited English Proficient patients
- demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively in cross-cultural situations
- adhere to the National Code of Ethics for Interpreters in Health Care and the International Medical Interpreter Association's Medical Interpreting Standards of Practice
Spanish Medical Healthcare Interpreter Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Interpretation between patients and providers in such a way that the original meaning is maintained
- Act in the interest of the shared goal of achieving the wellbeing of the patient. Interpretation can be conducted face-to-face, via telephone or video call
- Sight translation of clinical, non-clinical, and procedural documents into the target language
- Educate medical staff and physicians to access all medical healthcare interpreter services and maintain strict patient confidentiality
- Perform other duties that may be assigned in the best interest of UChicago Medicine
Spanish Medical Healthcare Interpreter Qualifications
- Successful completion of a formal program in medical interpreting for the qualified language
- Excellent grammatical skills in both language
- Extensive knowledge of medical terminology especially in areas of Peds/Adult Hematology Oncology, Organ Transplant, Genetics, Neurology/Neurosurgery, ENT, Peds/Adult Orthopedics, Human Anatomy, Physiology and medical procedures preferred
- Interpersonal skills are required along with a strong orientation to customer services
- Understanding of cultural diversity and its effect on clinical encounters
- Ability to sustain a busy and flexible work schedule. Ability to manage caseload and time; able to travel between patient care areas and off-site facilities
- 3 years of experience as a Medical Healthcare Interpreter in an acute care specialty medical center is preferred
Spanish Medical Healthcare Interpreter Licenses/Certifications
- Certification in Medical Interpretation Preferred
Located in Historic Hyde Park, UChicago Medicine is a not-for-profit integrated and academic health system of hospital and physician services, providing world class care since 1927. UChicago Medicine operates four hospitals and a state-of-the-art ambulatory-care facility located within a medical center campus of twenty interconnected buildings, along with several satellite facilities situated throughout Chicago's south suburbs. In addition, Ingalls Memorial Hospital is located outside of the main medical campus in Harvey, IL. Today, UChicago Medicine and Biological Sciences Division, including Ingalls Memorial Hospital encompass over 800 beds and employ nearly 12,000 people, which includes more than 800 attending physicians, 1100 residents and fellows, and 2,600 nurses.
UChicago Medicine's mission is to provide superior health care in a compassionate manner, ever mindful of each patient's dignity and individuality. UChicago Medicine has established a market identity “At the Forefront of Medicine”, and has consistently been able to attract a critical mass of talented physicians, healthcare professionals and staff to treat the most complex clinical problems. In recognition of this excellence, U.S. News and World Report rank many of our programs as among the best in the United States.
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront,
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website