Under supervision, the lab assistant will maintain a large number of Anopheles, Aedes and Culex mosquito colonies and assist in the generation, screening and molecular characterization of genetic lines of these species. This position requires knowledge of insect rearing, especially mosquito rearing. The individual will help maintain and clean the lab and support spaces as needed, and assist in general laboratory and insectary programming and maintenance. Minimum Requirements Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and two years of laboratory experience or two years of college including courses in Entomology, physical or natural sciences and one year of laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledges and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position. Ability to follow instructions and ability to maintain logs. Experience with the maintenance insect colonies, preferably mosquito colonies. Have strong attention to detail while being able to multitask and adapt to changing work load and priorities. Demonstrate interpersonal and communication skills and be able to work as part of team. Needs to have a sense of responsibility and strong work ethics. Ability to use Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word. Facile with communicating by email. Experience with Outlook is preferred.
Preferred Qualifications Two (2) or more years of college and one (1) year of laboratory experience, OR an equivalent combination of education and experience. Five years of work experience. Additional Information In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- UC Riverside was included in the (August 2018) edition of The Princeton Review's "The Best 382 Colleges."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2017) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- In 2016, UCR was recognized for graduation rate success by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU) for achieving near parity across racial-ethnic, socio-economic, and gender boundaries.
- UCR ranks among the Top 15 Public Research Universities in the nation, as identified by the 2017 Washington Monthly.
- In 2017, two separate reports from the Education Trust celebrated UCR as a national leader for African American and Latino student success. UCR was one of just three schools to be named top-performing institutions in both reports and the only California campus recognized among 18 top-performing colleges and universities in the nation for high black student graduation rates.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview
Apply on company website