PLEASE NOTE: In addition to this position, applicants are encouraged to apply to a similar recruitment, Classroom Media Computer Support Specialist (JobID: 18651)
Delay Notice: Due to the current health crisis, candidate selection or hiring steps may be delayed.
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the intimacy of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university.
Initial Review Date (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The Initial Review Date (IRD) for this job is: 06-01-2021
Dept Marketing Statement
Information Technology Services (ITS) is the campus innovation nexus that supports and amplifies the value of research, teaching, learning, and digital experiences at UC Santa Cruz. We are a group of diverse, enthusiastic people who produce extraordinary results that foster a campus climate where employees feel a sense of belonging.
Our guiding principles are integrity, client focus, teamwork, knowledge, and fulfillment. We are looking for people who are deeply curious, hard-working, ambitious, kind, and deeply committed to inclusive excellence.
We aspire to operate in an Agile and Lean fashion. Our goal is to continually improve our service quality, experience and value to our constituents. We care deeply about creating a diverse, high performing organization through recruiting while developing highly talented, well-rounded, staff. We invest in career paths and career development, devoting a significant amount of resources to skill and professional development for our staff.
ITS promotes two areas for skill growth:
1. Developing generalizing specialists by focusing on technical depth and breadth
2. Growing service and product expertise
Under general supervision of the Classrooms Operations Manager the incumbent provides general support of classrooms and special events for afternoon and evening classes and events, provides technical expertise and problem solving skills for a wide range of Learning Technologies computing and media equipment and computer networking, schedules and plans projects, supervises, hires, schedules and trains student assistants in office procedures and the operation and troubleshooting of media equipment for support of classrooms and special events.
The incumbent provides specialized support for distance education and remote instruction and active learning strategies and works with other ISMT staff and student employees to coordinate their support of these services and train them on the best ways to provide that support.
The incumbent supervises student employees who support distance education, remote instruction and active learning.
More information can be found at: https://its.ucsc.edu
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary Information: Salary Range: $27.08 - $29.16/hour. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: This position is eligible for Full benefits
Percentage of Time: 100%
Average Hours Per Week: 40
Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
Shift Includes: Evening
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz main campus
Union Representation: Yes - TX Union
Job Code Classification: 007359 (BUS TCHL SUPP ANL 2 TX)
45% - Classroom Media Support
- Provides media support for classroom instruction, remote captioning for ADA compliance. Provides on-going support, assistance and instruction to faculty, students and staff using media equipment in classrooms Researches, recommends and purchases media equipment to support classroom instruction. Sets up and orients novice users to media and computing platforms in classroom environments. Conducts training sessions for faculty and Learning Technologies staff on new hardware, software and media equipment. Receives, tests, inventories, configures and installs new media equipment. Manages communications with instructors regarding use of classroom equipment. Maintains classroom media equipment. Supervises student employees in maintenance of classroom media equipment.
- Serves as backup to other ISMT staff.
40% - Support of Distance Education, Remote & Active Learning Classes
- Provides support for distance education, remote and active learning classes. Acts as work leader for ISMT staff and student employees when they are providing support for those classes. Maintains support schedule and assigns staff and student staff to fill it. Instructs staff and student staff in correct operation of technology that supports those functions and best practices for their use. Works with other ISMT staff to ensure correct functioning of that technology. Researches new developments and best practices in that area.
10% - Special Events Media Support
- Provides media and computing support for special event presentations and administrative functions. Assists ISMT events staff in setup of media equipment for campus events.
5% - Other as Required
- All ISMT staff are responsible for the administrative tasks identified below.
- Acquisition of goods and services (including selection of equipment or supplies based on technical specifications and/or needs, selecting a vendor).
- Requesting approval for staff training and development and completing relevant travel documents.
- Complete personal and employee time sheets.
- Verifying receipt of goods ordered and completes appropriate documents related to Equipment Inventory and Warranties.
ITS Security Statement
Information Technology positions are responsible for the security of UC Institutional Information and IT Resources. The incumbent is required to follow all applicable information security policies, procedures, and standards to maintain minimum standards of information security for data, systems and applications. Supervisors are responsible for making sure their staff have appropriate security skills and qualifications, and complete all appropriate and required security training.
- Managerial skills, including demonstrated ability to plan large projects, set timelines, assign tasks, handle details.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, including the ability to work with service managers, end-users and other technical staff to determine system needs.
- Experience setting up and troubleshooting a wide range of media equipment including data/video projectors, sound systems, film projectors and slide projectors.
- Experience communicating with a diverse population of instructors, students and staff at a high professional level.
- Experience diagnosing and repairing Macintosh and Windows hardware and software problems.
- Experience diagnosing and repairing computer display and projection problems.
- Experience instructing non-technical personnel in the use of complex computer and media systems.
- Experience supervising student employees or others.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear documentation.
- Demonstrated skill in researching and implementing solutions to meet specialized media and computing needs.
- Demonstrated technical skill in configuration, maintenance, trouble-shooting and repair of computer workstations including a wide variety of computer hardware, operating systems, peripherals and network configurations.
- Ability to give oral presentations to groups whose technical skill levels may vary widely.
- Experience in working with the public in a service environment.
- Experience diagnosing and repairing network problems at the workstation level on Macintosh and Windows platforms.
- Experience analyzing user needs and designing computer and media systems based on those needs.
- Experience creating web pages.
- Experience installing and configuring Macintosh and Windows computers.
- Experience configuring and trouble-shooting a wide variety of computer peripherals.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
- Agile Certification.
- Lean / Six Sigma Certification.
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Incumbent may be required to work nights, weekends and/or holidays.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must know and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
How to Apply
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Apply on company website