Bring Your Passion to the Forefront:
(RRT) Registered Respiratory Therapist, Respiratory Care Services Department, University of Chicago Medicine in Hyde Park, Chicago, IL
We're hiring a Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for the Respiratory Care Services department for multiple shifts and FTEs for the University of Chicago Medicine at our main campus in Hyde Park, Chicago, IL.
$7,500 Sign On Bonus (Full-time positions only)
In this role, the (RRT) Registered Respiratory Therapist administers respiratory care treatments, procedures, and protocols under the direct supervision of department leadership and physician. Provides for patient assessment to determine cardiopulmonary status, implement appropriate patient care protocols, or to maintain/improve cardiopulmonary hemodynamic status. Initiates and maintains emergent and non-emergent non-invasive ventilation and invasive mechanical ventilation per department policies and protocols.
Essential Job Functions
- Administers supplemental oxygen/medical gas therapy; as prescribed by direct physician order or via established and approved departmental patient care protocols; documents such procedures appropriately and accurately into the EPIC electronic medical record.
- Administers intermittent (Small Volume Nebulizer, MDI, etc.) or Continuous Medication delivery therapy (bronchodilators, steroid therapy, mucolytics, etc.) as prescribed or via established and approved department protocols. Documents such procedures into the EPIC electronic medical record appropriately and accurately; in real-time fashion. Properly assesses the patient during administration of such modalities.
- Initiates and maintains non-invasive ventilation (NIV) procedures (BIPAP, CPAP, High Flow Cannula) on an emergent and non-emergent basis; assess patient status and the status of NIV equipment and patient tolerance of such. Implements necessary adjustments to assure best level of patient comfort and tolerance to achieve most effective benefit of therapy. Documents procedures into the EPIC system as required.
- Provides for ventilator management (NIV and mechanical ventilation); appropriate hemodynamic monitoring/reporting of patient parameters (ventilator weaning parameters, spontaneous breathing trials, etc.). Documents information accurately and timely within the EPIC electronic medical record.
- Performs Arterial Blood Gas analysis per hospital, department, and accrediting agency guidelines and standards of practice. Trouble shoots ABG analyzers; performs appropriate quality control and general calibration procedures as appropriate. Reports results accurately and timely, within established results turnaround reporting guidelines.
- Provides for patient transport within the facility when patients are transported to other areas on oxygen delivery systems, mechanical ventilators, etc.
- Graduate of an approved and accredited Respiratory Care Program (at least two years in duration); Diploma or Certificate of Completion and Associate's Degree.
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) by The National Board for Respiratory Care.
- Licensed by The State of Illinois as a Respiratory Care Practitioner; or has applied for IL Respiratory Care Practitioner licensure with IDFPR (not to exceed 6 months pending) Basic Life Support Healthcare provider certification (American Heart Association)
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program Certification; PALS Certification; or ACLS Certification preferred, depending upon patient care area assigned and the primary patient populations served.
- Bachelor's Degree (B.S., B.A.)
- Job Type/FTE: 0.9 FTE
- Shift: 12 Hr Nights
- Unit/Department: Respiratory Therapy
- CBA Code: Non-Union
Apply on company website