Shift: Days, M-F, available for emergency sacrament of Anointing of the Sick
The Department is looking for a qualified Chaplain who has faculties from the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago who will provide pastoral and spiritual care to patients, families and staff at the medical center.
In this role, the Chaplain provides pastoral and spiritual care to patients, families and staff, and functions as a resource to all staff concerning religious and spiritual matters pertaining to patient care. Provides Anointing of the Sick for patients as requested.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
Service Pride Job Duties
- Functions in the role within the framework of the Sensitivity, Behavioral and Performance standards
- Actively participates in the delivery of Chaplaincy Services according to the Standards of Practice of the certifying body and the principles and practices of Outcome Oriented Chaplaincy.
- Assesses patient/family spiritual care needs and provides evidence-based interventions to assist in meeting those needs. Provides chaplaincy support to hospital staff as needed.
- Participates in the multidisciplinary team as the Spiritual Care specialist and resource regarding religious and spiritual needs of patients.
- Administers Catholic sacraments when requested and performs religious rites or arranges for appropriate religious representative to do so
- Completes medical chart documentation as required
- Demonstrate respect/appreciation for persons served by the Department, regardless of background, race, age, sexual orientation, gender, religion or disability; treat all associates fairly and equitably; remain open to divergent opinions; and seek a culturally and religiously diverse department
- Participates in staff committees and task forces to accomplish Service Pride and Excellence objectives of the Hospitals as requested and in consultation with the Director
- Maintains awareness and knowledge of current clinical issues or advances relevant to departmental decision making and functioning
- Understands changes in health care delivery and functions effectively within health care systems
- Promotes and has knowledge of and utilizes appropriate patient care protocol relating to the physical, psychosocial and developmental needs of neonatal, pediatric, adult and geriatric patients. Capable of communicating with individuals in age specific terms and language
- B.A. from an accredited college or university, or its equivalent.
- Master level degree from an accredited college or university, or its equivalent, in a field relative to healthcare chaplaincy
- Minimum two units of Clinical Pastoral Education approved by APCE or SCA. Additional units preferred.
- 3-5 years of previous experience in hospital chaplaincy preferred.
- Must be certified, or eligible for certification, as a Board Certified Chaplain, by and in good standing with a national chaplaincy certifying body, e.g. Spiritual Care Association, the Association of Professional Chaplains, National Association of Catholic Chaplains. If not already certified, must obtain certification with two years of hire date.
- Must be ordained as a Roman Catholic priest, with faculties from the Archdiocese of Chicago.
- Able to take initiative on projects and tasks, able to use independent judgment/insight to solve problems, and able to take responsibility for outcomes
- Demonstrates personal accountability, identifies own continuing education needs, and maintains current knowledge in their area of work
- Performs consistently within the code of ethics of the certifying body
You'll thrive in this position if you:
- Strengthen Collaboration – you put the organizations interests and customer needs ahead of your own. You identify and create effective working collaborations with others; establish good interpersonal relationships by helping people feel valued, appreciated, and offer support. You present sound reasons and recommendations that link to the needs of those impacted; obtain agreement to support ideas; leverage win-win solutions to ensure others take action.
- Create Value – you gathers insights into what creates value; promote ongoing evaluation of the patient and customer circumstances, expectations and needs. You determine the processes, systems and behaviors that directly impact how the patient and customer feel. You proactively improve, through one's role, the patient and customer experience; consistently positions the value of UCMC so the patient and customer recommend us to their family, friends and community.
- Demonstrate Emotional Intelligence – you identify issues, problems and opportunities; proactively recognize the need for improvement. You work with others to develop a sense of common purpose; understand different perspectives on issues; gathers and examines information available. You generate alternatives - Create relevant options, including financial and resource implications, for addressing problems and opportunities. You select appropriate action - Formulate clear decision criteria; evaluates options by considering implications and consequences; chooses an effective option. You commit to implementation and work with a sense of urgency and a bias for action to implement the decision.
- Communicate with Impact – you focus on the message of others, provide undivided attention, and defer judgment. You convey messages logically, simply, and with confidence. You check for understanding by asking questions, seeking clarity and responding accordingly.
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website