Community Health Care Worker I
The Population Health Management Department has an opportunity for a Community Health Worker I who will serve to bridge between the community and healthcare agencies to build trusting relationships with residents and their families.
Community Health Worker I - Job Summary
In this role, the Community Health Worker (CHW) will work across neighborhoods in Chicago's South Side to address social determinants of health (conditions in the environments in which people are born, live, learn, work, play, etc. that affect a wide range of health outcomes and risks), and assist community members with self-managing health conditions and adopting improved health behaviors. The overall goal of UHI's Community Benefit department is to enhance community health and wellness around specific priority health needs on Chicago's South Side.
- The CHW will serve as a bridge between the community and healthcare agencies by building trusting relationships with residents and their family.
Under the direction and guidance of the Manager of Community Benefit at UChicago Medicine's Urban Health Initiative (UHI), the CHW will be responsible for providing health education and case management services to individuals, families and community members with asthma, diabetes and other chronic conditions within UCM's community benefit communities.
- The CHW may also assist UCM with other outreach functions.
- You will work closely with community members to provide comprehensive education, including disease – specific basics, the medical management of specific diseases and prevention techniques, among other topics. Some of the education will take place in the homes of community members; however the CHW may also be required to provide education in other settings such as group sessions, health fairs, clinics, etc. as needed.
- You will be responsible for assisting with the organization of community health promotion activities and events, as well as program publicity and recruitment.
- The capacity in which the CHWs will serve in promoting health include:
- Serving as a link between community members and healthcare agencies (e.g., hospitals, community health centers, etc.)
- Providing guidance around necessary referrals to social and/or health assistance services
- Engaging in follow up care communications and case management with residents
Community Health Worker I - Qualifications
- Must have High School diploma or GED
- Certificate of completion of CHW Training OR
- One (1) - two (2) years health education experience preferred
- Have experience working with children and/or adults with chronic conditions (or desire to do so)
- Familiarity with and experience working in Chicago's West and/or Southside communities
- Passion for and dedication to working with community members
- Punctual, reliable and willing to learn
- Strong organizational skills
- Must have a valid Driver's License and own a car
- Basic skills in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Proactive learner that feels comfortable in different environments
You'll thrive in this position if you:
- Create Value – you gather insights into what creates value; promote ongoing evaluation of the patient and customer circumstances, expectations and needs. You determine the processes, systems and behaviors that directly impact how the patient and customer feel. You pro-actively improve, through one's role, the patient and customer experience; consistently positions the value of UCMC so the patient and customer recommend us to their family, friends and community.
- Deliver Results – you identify issues, problems and opportunities; pro-actively recognize the need for improvement. You work with others to develop a sense of common purpose; understand different perspectives on issues; gathers and examines information available. You generate alternatives - Create relevant options, including financial and resource implications, for addressing problems and opportunities. You select appropriate action - Formulate clear decision criteria; evaluates options by considering implications and consequences; chooses an effective option. You commit to implementation and work with a sense of urgency and a bias for action to implement the decision.
- Embrace Change – you treat change and new situations as opportunities for learning or growth; identifies the benefits and risks of change. You quickly modify behavior to deal effectively with changes; remains effective during times of ambiguity and uncertainty. You honor the need in others to ask questions; helps others overcome resistance.
- Communicate with Impact – you focus on the message of others, provide undivided attention, and defer judgment. You convey messages logically, simply, and with confidence. You check for understanding by asking questions, seeking clarity and responding accordingly.
In this role, we anticipate that you will generally work approximately 40 hours per week. We anticipate that you will generally be scheduled to work the first shift, from approximately 8:30am-5:30pm or 9:30am-6:30pm and will not be scheduled for on-call shifts. We anticipate you will be scheduled to work 25% at the Hyde Park campus and 75% of the time in the community. The days of the week that you are scheduled will typically be Monday - Friday, but we anticipate that you will be scheduled to work on weekends (Saturday and/or Sunday) occasionally.
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website