Bring Your Passion to the Forefront:
Physician Communications Specialist - UCAN, ROTATING, Hyde Park - Chicago, IL
743 Clerical Union Posting Dates: (06/24/20 – 07/1/20)
Area: 378910 - UCAN
Shift: Full-Time (1.0 FTE) / 12-hour Rotating shifts
Join one of the nation's most comprehensive academic medical centers, University of Chicago Medicine, in a communications-focused role as the UCAN Communications Specialist. University of Chicago Aeromedical Network (UCAN), the air medical service of the University of Chicago Medicine, provides helicopter transport of critically ill or injured neonatal, pediatric, and adult patients from the scene of an emergency or during inter-hospital transfer to the University of Chicago medical campus or between other hospitals. UCAN is staffed by a dedicated team of specially trained flight nurses, flight physicians, EMS pilots, and communication specialists--ready to respond to transport needs 24 hours a day.
In this role, the Communications Specialist is responsible for answering telephones and responding to customer requests for patient acceptance and transfer. Based upon the request, the Communications Specialist follows procedure to coordinate the subsequent rotor or ground transport. Transfer requests from physicians, transfer center or any health care provider, via the UCAN Communications Center will be handled in a safe, expeditious, and customer oriented manner.
Duties and Responsibilites:
- Responds to requests for UCAN transport through the coordination of referring and receiving party communications and patient acceptance, mission specific arrangements, and monitoring movement of ground ambulance, rotor wing, or fixed wing aircraft. Offers assistance for alternative transport in the event the weather restricts rotor-wing availability.
- Answers all incoming requests received from physicians or designee via the UCAN Communications Center, in order to expedite communication with a UCMC physician for patient acceptance, transfer, referral, or consult. Answers all incoming requests received from physicians or designee or EMS agencies via the UCAN Communications Center, in order to expedite communication with receiving physician from other institutions for patient acceptance, transfer, referral, or consult. coordination of pt. acceptance.
- Maintains detailed records and data entry of all communications and requests for assistance received via the UCAN Communications Center. This includes, but is not limited to: transport charge entry, UCAN billing to institutional users, statistical tabulation, follow up letters to requesting attending physicians or EMS agencies, and UCAN - assisted ICU or floor transfers as per policy.
- Demonstrates an understanding of UCH Administrative Policy and Procedure, as well as department specific procedures related to the UCAN service, and Communications Center.
- Demonstrates understanding of Air Methods Corporation Operational Control Center and complies with FAA regulations and procedures. Demonstrates and maintains a thorough working knowledge of all UCAN Communications Center equipment: aircraft radios, hand held radios, satellite tracking of aircraft, satellite telephone, and operational control log, and notifies appropriate personnel in the event of malfunction.
- Performs flight following for visiting aircraft within the Chicagoland area as requested. Ensures effective communication with customer relaying any information regarding transport delays or changes in itinerary as soon as possible. Maintains excellent interpersonal and customer relations at all levels and follows through to completion of request for assistance.
- Initiates overdue/missing aircraft procedures when necessary. Identifies areas for professional growth and seeks opportunities for development. Monitors NOAA weather radio and informs public safety and call center when a tornado warning is implemented for the Chicago South Metro area.
- Demonstrates understanding of navigation techniques/terminology and understanding weather interpretation. Participates in yearly mandatory Air Medical Resource Management (AMRM) training.
- Participates in UCAN Safety Committee. Presents and maintains a professional appearance and work environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the UCAN Chief Flight Nurse/Administrative Director and/or the Medical/Program Director.
- A High School diploma or GED equivalent from an accredited academic body is required.
- Must hold certification as an EMT or the equivalent in knowledge or experience required.
- Three to five years of professional work experience in customer service, physician referral, or emergency medical dispatch is required.
- Advanced phone skills including conferencing, call park, and transferring is required.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of aviation terminology, FAA and FCC regulations.
- Must have the ability to prioritize and perform multiple duties in an often-stressful environment.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication, telephone, customer service, and prioritization skills.
- Must be able to pass a typing test during the application process.
- Previous computer experience (in a networked environment), data entry, clerical skills, and work with attending level physicians in an academic medical center environment is preferred.
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront.
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website